Assassins And Mysteries Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by PatientStars, Apr 15, 2018.

1. PatientStars

PatientStarsValued MemberMember

Hi all,

I have a quick question. I have a pest snail explosion happening in my 50 gallon planted community tank. It's also home to 6 mystery snails and 1 sulawesi (rabbit) snail.

I have some assassins that I would like to transfer over to this tank to take care of the pest snails. As long as they have the smaller snails to hunt, will they leave the much larger mystery and rabbit snails alone? Or should I still worry about them ganging up and attacking them?

Just trying to decide whether I should regime the big guys while the assassins do their job, or if I can leave them in the 50 where they are very happy and active.

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

I would think that the mystery is to big for an assassin snail to take down.

3. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

Ok, that's what I was thinking, but just wanted another opinion. I figured given the choice between a pea sized pond snail and a golf ball sized mystery snail, the assassins would likely leave the mysteries alone.

4. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOhWell Known MemberMember

I’ve had some ambitious assassins that constantly follow and harass mysteries despite plenty of smaller snails for them.

5. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

Hmmm... that's what makes me nervous. The rabbit snail is actually who I worry about the most. He moves a lot slower than the mystery snails, and I already found an assassin hanging onto him. I think my mystery snails are big enough, and fast enough, to deter the assassins, but I may be moving Peter the rabbit snail to another tank for his own safety. I have a real soft spot for him and would hate to see anything happen to him.

6. Bithimala

BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

I would move them, or at least keep a close eye on it and be ready to in case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice