Assassin Snails?

Hannah M

Since buying a new plant in I’ve been invaded by Malaysian Trumpet Snails. While I’m not strictly against these guys I’m quickly getting so many I’m worried it’ll spoil my tanks balance. I’m debating adding an assassin snail or two to sort out the MTS. But:
- will I just end up with a million assassins instead of MTS?
- will they bother my living plants?
- will they eat algae or just other snails?

Cheers!

FlipFlopFishFlake

1. Assassin snails will breed, but at a much slower rate then other snails.
2. They won't harm your plants, in fact it takes a bit for them to start to nibble at your dead plants, as they are way more carnivorous.
3. They will graze a bit on some forms of algae, but don't rely on them for algae control.

As some additional advice, they will eat other inverts too such as shrimp, so be aware of that. I have also found them to be exceptional clean up crews for dead fish and the like.

Pringlethesnail

Mine didn’t like eating MTS. They’re better at eating pond snails or rams horn. The MTS won’t multiply so much that it effects the bioload. I would just leave them.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Mine didn’t like eating MTS. They’re better at eating pond snails or rams horn. The MTS won’t multiply so much that it effects the bioload. I would just leave them.
I feel like since MTS are nocturnal, the assassin snails probably have much less contact with them as well.

Sina-key

Adding Assassin snails to clean MTS is a 50-50 situation sometimes it work sometimes don’t
Their breeding rate is very slow but if they breed you can sell them easily
They are more carnivores so they won’t eat plants or algae but as mentioned above they are very effective clean up crew for cleaning dead fishes(mine finished a dead endler in less than 4 hours) or uneaten food. Their only problem in my opinion is that you can’t add any other snails with them even bigger snails are in danger with them also if they don’t get enough food they will start to eat each other

Pringlethesnail

They will pack hunt to take down bigger snails so as long as you don’t have very many you can keep them with bigger snails. I kept 3 in my mystery snail mating tank without issue. I put them in there for MTS and they didn’t make a dent in the MTS, but came out and ate the shrimp pellets that were for the mystery snails to eat. Maybe if they hadn’t had constant food by sharing with the mystery’s they would’ve tried to take one down. I tried them with smaller mystery’s and the three of them could take down one about the size of a nickel.

bumblinBee

I have had MTS since I set up my aquarium 7 years ago. Their numbers can grow, rapidly. I don't know if they really affected my bio load too much but they were rather unsightly and I hated them. My LFS FINALLY got assassin snails in and they happened to be there when I went in. I got 5 of them as soon as I saw them. I put 4 in my 20 gallon and 1 in my 25 gallon. Within a week a lot of the MTS in the 20 gallon were gone and the ones in my 25 gallon had a sizeable difference as well. After the assassins had cleared out the snails in my 20 I moved them to my 25, let them clear that one out and then moved them to my 100 gallon. It took about 2-3 months for both tanks to be completely cleared. I love assassin snails, they're adorable and for the most part you won't even know they're there since they burrow into the sand. If you are looking to get rid of the MTS I would definitely go for the assassin snails. They are carnivorous so you don't have to worry about them touching your plants, I haven't seen mine go on the plants at all but I'm afraid they won't go after algae either, sorry there. It's almost impossible to get rid of MTS without assassins, I've tried snails traps before, I even swapped the substrate out in one of my aquariums in an attempt to get rid of them and I wasn't able to!

Pringlethesnail

My assassins never put a dent in my MTS. They cleared out all the ramshorns and then after that ate the food that was meant for my mystery snails lol. They passed away about a year ago and I’m still not overrun with MTS. I can see a few here and there, but they burrow and come out more at night. They ride around on my mystery snails sometimes and show up to feeding time. Even with them eating the mystery snail food I still don’t have that many. It’s a 20 gallon and I could probably spot 10 on the ground and 2 on the glass at any time. But my tank is a snail tank. While there is 10 MTS visible there is 30 mysterys. 2 MTS on the wall but 10 mysterys on the wall. So they don’t bother me. I’d expect there to be more since they’re so well fed, but nope! It’s a personal preference really. MTS won’t hurt the plants and neither would the assassins. MTS will eat algae but assassins won’t. Good luck!

Hannah M

Thanks for all your experiences. I’ve been keeping the MTS down by pulling out the big ones every week until I visit my LFS. Sounds like the jury is out on the assassins but nothing overwhelmingly negative, cleanup crew are always welcome as my kuhlI loach are lazy with bloodworm on the sand. As it’s only an 87litre tank (which is 20gal for US?) I would only get 1 or 2 assassins if the LFS have them. I’ll let you know the result.

tjander

My assassins never touched the MTS. Also a shrimp is way to fast for a snail to catch them. I have had assassins in my shrimp tank for over two years never have I seen them try to do anything to my shrimp.

DoubleDutch

My assassins never touched the MTS. Also a shrimp is way to fast for a snail to catch them. I have had assassins in my shrimp tank for over two years never have I seen them try to do anything to my shrimp.
Think.you have vegetariassassins.

My MTS are the favorite food.
Never saw them eat shrimp but have read reports about that !

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • clubbers
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Basil
  • ChrisBoffer
  • Snails
Replies
Views
ChrisBoffer