Assassin snails, prey size too small?

Crimson_687

Well Known
I know that assassin snails will sooner go after the larger pond snails than the smaller pond snails, but is there a point where the snail is so small they will not eat it? By tiny, I mean these snails are about the size of a piece of dirt under your fingernail. I’ve noticed that the assassin snails will sooner go after shrimp food than they will the small snails. Is it that these snails are too small for them to detect/hunt? I don’t mind the pond snails, nor do I mind the assassins eating some shrimp food, just wondering why they won’t hunt the smaller pest snails

Best Answer - View !poogs!'s answer

!poogs!

Well Known
If you give the snails the easy out of eating food you supply, they will take it and not go after the other snails unless the come across them by good fortune.

i Find they go after the other snails when the prey snails are just big enough to move noticeably around the tank. You will know if they are chowing down because you will find a lot of empty snail shells on the substrate.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
I know those tiny snails you are talking about. I have them in my 120g. I have assasins in my 90g, and I have not added them to my 120g because I really can't see them eating the tiny snails. Although maybe a baby assasin could eat a mini ramshorn?.....
Are your assasins breeding?

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
I have a 40 gallon planted cube and had pest proportion Malaysian Trumpet Snails and tiny Ramshorn Snails (about 3mm in shell diameter).

They were covering the glass so I couldn't see my fish.

I am famous for refusing to overfeed my fish. That's why my Clown Loaches took 25 years before they stopped growing LOL.

But in an aquarium there is fish poop, dead leaves and who knows what that snails can eat so starving snails out doesn't seem to work for me.

I spent over ten years siphoning the snails out at every water change and the snail population halved and stayed there but it was a lot of effort for insufficient reward.

Last October I added four Assassin Snails and within 3 months I noticed a difference. Now there are young Assassin Snails and I barely see any pest snails, maybe one or two MTS at most on the glass.

The big plus for me is that the thousands of tiny Ramshorn Snails are completely gone.

No, although I avoided it for so long, adding Assassin Snails has eventually been a resounding success for me.

I was against doing so as I generally don't agree with adding animals to do my work e.g. algae eaters and I didn't want to replace one problem with another but the plague of Assassin Snails hasn't happened - yet LOL!

Neon Tetra and African Glass Catfish Cube Aquarium Steve Joul (2) - Copy.JPG" data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-attachment721639" data-lb-id="attachment721639">
16.06.25 Neon Tetra and African Glass Catfish Cube Aquarium Steve Joul (2) - Copy.JPG

OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known
angelcraze said:
I know those tiny snails you are talking about. I have them in my 120g. I have assasins in my 90g, and I have not added them to my 120g because I really can't see them eating the tiny snails. Although maybe a baby assasin could eat a mini ramshorn?.....
Are your assasins breeding?
No, the two I have are same gender. I don’t mind having more/breeding assassins, just never felt the need for it
Redshark1 said:
I have a 40 gallon planted cube and had pest proportion Malaysian Trumpet Snails and tiny Ramshorn Snails (about 3mm in shell diameter).

They were covering the glass so I couldn't see my fish.

I am famous for refusing to overfeed my fish. That's why my Clown Loaches took 25 years before they stopped growing LOL.

But in an aquarium there is fish poop, dead leaves and who knows what that snails can eat so starving snails out doesn't seem to work for me.

I spent over ten years siphoning the snails out at every water change and the snail population halved and stayed there but it was a lot of effort for insufficient reward.

Last October I added four Assassin Snails and within 3 months I noticed a difference. Now there are young Assassin Snails and I barely see any pest snails, maybe one or two MTS at most on the glass.

The big plus for me is that the thousands of tiny Ramshorn Snails are completely gone.

No, although I avoided it for so long, adding Assassin Snails has eventually been a resounding success for me.

I was against doing so as I generally don't agree with adding animals to do my work e.g. algae eaters and I didn't want to replace one problem with another but the plague of Assassin Snails hasn't happened - yet LOL!
they definitely curb the snail population, but the snails stay tiny for long enough they reproduce more tiny snails. I don’t mind them tho, their population is pretty much a stand still, with majority being small, then being eaten once they increase in size. There’s also not enough excess food to support a pond snail boom. I’ve heard that shrimp benefit from them, but the source didn’t seem very good, it was saying that the shrimp eat the microbes in the snail poop, and no other source mentioned it so I don’t think it’s true. I could easily manually remove them, I just wouldn’t know what to do with them. The assassins will get sustenance from them, but I’ve got nothing to do with them. Even if I vacuum some during a water change I just put them back in the tank.
!poogs! said:
If you give the snails the easy out of eating food you supply, they will take it and not go after the other snails unless the come across them by good fortune.

i Find they go after the other snails when the prey snails are just big enough to move noticeably around the tank. You will know if they are chowing down because you will find a lot of empty snail shells on the substrate.
I do see empty shells, all of which are larger in size than majority of the snails. Makes sense they would take an easy route to food vs following a snail and catching it tho.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Oh! What to do with them? I squish them against the glass and my fish go crazy when I do it. They eat escargot and those tiny ramshorns are perfect bite size for almost any fish.

New Threads