Assassin Snails/pond Snails/ African Snails??

Süßwasserfisch

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a major ramshorn snail problem. And before I even get into it the problem is not over feeding. I have had a 55 gallon in my basement no lights, heat, filtration, food, or even aeration. The tank has not moved and is in a completely dark room since February. The lowest temp I've recorded was 59°f and Low and behold there's probably over 300 ramshorn snails in there. So I have two other tanks that have an infestation as of right now. I have a 29 gallon betta tank with a breeding pair and I am utterly sick of cleaning the endless amounts of feces from the snails not to mention they clog my filter and throw off all my levels. I completely removed all the driftwood and plants, sucked the gravel, removed any leaves with egss and let the wood sun dry for two days. Put the tank back together and within a month bam a ton of ramshorn's. I have a 75 gallon with a minor infestation but I have nerites and black devil snails in there currently. I don't want to go the algeafix method. I was curious if a) I got an assassin snail would it solve the problem b) if I did get one how many c) how could I feed them once they've gone through the ramshorn's. I also have an adf who is all alone and my kid would like a snail or two for the tank he's been with 4 Ms with no issues but our tanks are specific to the continent of origin (other than snails due to my experience and knowledge in finding them) so I was curious if anyone knows of any African snails that you can keep in a aquarium?? ANY advice or opinions welcome!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Assassin snails are okay for maintenance, but with that kind of a boom, you're going to have to trap them.

Stuff a glass jar with leaf lettuce and sink it before lights out. Remove the jar in the morning. Reset the trap as many times as necessary to reduce the population.

ElSavo

Reaction score
Although an assassin snail would help it could completely decimate the population. I had the opposite problem where I wanted my ramshorn to reproduce rapidly. I found the larger common pond snails and giant pond snails would subdue their growth, and recently discovered gisn't snails will eat smaller species. This may work for you as common snails grow much more rapidly and their reproduction rates will cause a decrease in ramshorn. Hope this helps.

Süßwasserfisch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is that the species of loach? And I emptied the large tank downstairs we stopped counting at 238 snails...in a tank with no circulation, in my basement which is completely dark, water averaging 50°f and no food for months. BUT we didn't find one cluster of eggs whatsoever. I continue to pick them out of our other tankstank throw them in the birdbath outside lol. To the person trying to get them to reproduce quickly- Set your temp to 79°f feed your fish Omega One shrimp pellets and let your lights run 10 hrs. That's what we did and must have been overfeeding bacause we had hundreds within a month. Not to mention I have all live plants so they have a never ending food source if need be. We've tried the lettuce in a jar and only find one or two I'm guessing because of my live plants? Short of completely emptying cleaning, and buying all new substrate, plants, and decor. Which is what we did for our betta tank. I am at a loss of how to get rid of these things. My parents have used algeafix on their tank multiple times to get rid of their overgrowth and they have the spike shelled pond snails all over and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm overwhelmed with snails! What can I do? Should I honestly empty the tank and start over? It took alot to get the tank where it is today and I finally have full plants growth ( after my gf accidentally used co2 booster instead of stress coat) so I would rather not have to.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom