Assassin Snails For Pond Snail Infestation?

1. C

ChristopherM33 New Member Member

Hello, I am hoping to get some advice regarding a pond snail infestation I currently have. I will try to keep things fairly short, but if there is any important info I leave out I would be happy to provide it.

In my house we have two 65 gallon aquariums and one 10 gallon aquarium. The ten gallon aquarium is the one with the infestation, so it currently houses a betta fish, three gold cloud fish, a panda cory, a mystery snail, and however many pond snails are in their also. It is hard for me to say how many for sure, but I just picked out all of the ones I saw (totaling around 60-70 of them), and already another dozen have come out that weren't there before. I would very much like to get rid of them, and I've tried various methods I've heard about apart from the use of assassin snails. I am hesitant to do so because of heard different things about them overpopulating and attacking larger snails (which is a concern with my mystery snail in the tank). Does anybody have any first hand experience with this, or has anybody been successful with using a different method for getting rid of these snails? My research has had mixed results, and I suppose responses here may end up being mixed as well. But any help would be greatly appreciated!

One last note, most of the plants that were in the tank have been removed, as there were dozens of microscopic snails already eating their way through them. And it would be possible to move the Mystery snail to a larger tank but I'd like to keep him in this one if possible.

2. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

So I would assume it goes without saying that you are aware the ten gal is massively overstocked...

I have gotten/used assassin snails, and they can do wonders on pest snails. Have had mine for about two years now, have yet to have an incident where they’ve harmed a nerite, much less a mystery. That being said, it is a risk that you would have to be aware of, and a chance that you would be taking.

When purchasing assassins be aware that you can’t get just one, they do work better in ‘packs’... I would start with about 5 snails.
    Yes, assassins will breed while their food source is in abundance, but they don’t really overpopulate. After the pest snails are gone they follow the same dietary needs as the mystery (even less so).

Removing the plants the snails came on doesn’t do anything to help control the pest population.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you very much for the advice! I was not aware that my tank was "massively" overstocked. There's two gallons of water per fish at the moment, and none of them are over an inch except for the betta. What would you personally recommend I keep/move? And as for what you said about the assassin snails, thank you for the help. I don't believe my local fish store carries them so I may have to look into getting them online. Thank you very much, and any additional responses would be appreciated but you already answered my main question, so don't feel obliged.

4. J

So stocking... better to tag @TexasDomer for that one, resident stocking expert.

I should rephrase the “massively overstocked” to when stocked at proper levels, or are full grown, you are overstocked and the fish aren’t compatible temperature wise...

I apologize, I was typing in a hurry :) no excuse, but you do have issues...

Overall, wcmm are schoolers that get to 2 inches... also prefer cold temps, length to swim, and do better in groups of 6+
    Betta needs warm temps
    Cory’s do best in groups of 6+
    Mystery snails have a large bioload.

5. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you very much for the response. I had spoken with the owners of my local fish store (where I bought all of them but the betta) and had made sure the fish and snail would be fine together. I took their word for it, but as I’ve learned and most people here probably know, just because they sell the fish doesn’t necessarily mean they know enough to give advice. I’ve been doing this for less than 7 months so there is definitely still much to be learned! Maybe I will move the golden clouds into one of the larger tanks and get a few more of them to make a school, and find something else that is more compatible with my betta. If you have any suggestions on what may be a better fit I would like to hear it, but as I said before you’ve already answered my initial question so don’t go too far outta your way to do it! Thank you again

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with Jocelyn, both the cories and the white clouds need cooler temps than a betta, and groups of 6+, and I wouldn't keep them in a 10g, either.

Welcome to fishlore!

7. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you very much! I will definitely be using this site as a resource, I appreciate the warm welcome

8. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

On the Assassin Snails,
    Careful, similar issue pest/pond snail going crazy. Bought 8 assassin within a few months I had over 100. Did a "Great Job", but if enough food they will multiply. I have Yoyo loaches doing the job now. Good Luck!

9. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you! Just today I actually bought a “pack” of 5 of them online. It sounds like they should do the job, I’m just considering moving my mystery out of tank once I put these guys in. I also came across some info that at some point once the pest snails are gone I may have to add snails to the tank to supplement their diet. Can anybody verify that this is true?

10. J

No need too add more snails after for them to eat. They will eat the same as the mystery after the pest population is down.