Assassin snails dying. Recommendations or help.?

1. octavio Member Member

I've recently tried introducing assassin snails to my 75 gallon community tank. But they eventually die after a one or two weeks. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all at 0.0 and the PH is 7.0. The community tank fish are 5 neon tetras, 6 black neon tetras, 4 zebra danios, 6 guppies, 9 lambchop rasboras, 11 pygmy cories, 4 kuhli loaches and some ghost shrimp. I've also got a major infestation of malasian trumpet, pond, and rams horn snails which prompted me to buy the assassin snails. I've purchased 12 assassins from three different stores in the last two months. As of this morning the last two have died.

I have had no problems with water quality or stock. The tank is low tech and heavily planted. I do a 15 to 25% water change once a week. The tank has been established for 12 months.

Any thoughts?

2. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Impressed with 0 nitrates. Are you sure they are dead? Mine eat then kind of hibernate for a while. They way mind act, it's like they can only eat so much then just bury their trap door in the sand.

3. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Your nitrates shouldn't be at 0. You should increase your numbers for neons and zebra danios.

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah how do you know they died ?

5. octavio Member Member

No, I should not increase the number of neons and danios. In fact, if I could rehome the danios I would. As "dither" fish they interfere with the natural schooling behavior of the rasboras and neons. And they are so common where I live it's like trying to give away kittens. As for the neons they are perfectly fine.

Why shouldn't nitrates be at 0? As I mentioned, the tank is heavily planted and with regular water changes the water parameters of the tank naturally test at 0.0. I've been keeping and breeding fish for over 50 years and rarely have I had a problem with water parameters being out of balance. I have only recently tried keeping assassin snails. It appears it's my luck that I can't raise snails when I actually want to. LOL

6. octavio Member Member

They behaved pretty much as you describe. But then they don't recover from the hibernation period and their shells end up being little empty decorative things driftin along the substrate with the current.