Assassin snails breeding

Ash1176

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
About a month ago I saw my 2 assassin snails kept “hugging” all the time, so I looked it up, turns out they were mating, and they did a lot of it! I also read that they are likely to deposit eggs on Anubis... which they did! I spotted an egg, cool... then I spot a few eggs on the stems of amazon swords, okay no problem...
A few weeks ago they’re “hugging” again hahaha, a lot. And I see more eggs on a different Anubis’s plant, a lot more this time... hmmmmm
Okay so is this going to be a problem? I think assassin look really cool, so I don’t mind a bunch of them, I could even trade em at the Lfs, that sounds cool! But will it become a huge pest problem???
I got my assassins to kill off my pond snails, but I can’t get an assassin for assassin snails hahahaha
Just let it ride or intervene? Let me know what you think
15465CBB-437D-4A5E-8BDB-38964FE0E3BC.png

skar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They do breed but ime.. it's not overwhelming.
Not anything like mts or pond snails.

Most (my local) fish stores are happy to accept assassins without hesitation.
So I wouldn't worry about it.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine bred and i spotted a baby today! If you dont let food sink to the bottom u will be fine.
20200709_104103.jpg

TheDojoMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Snails will populate to the level of food available generally. In my opinion you cant really have too many snails because, if you have a ton, it means there is a lot of food source they are populating to eat so they are doing their jobs as the cleanup crew to further process and break down waste/eat algae or other snails. This is why I purchased MTS and allow them to grow to massive numbers because I believe that they are very beneficial as they will feed on decaying matter in the substrate as well as dig through it and aerate it (they look super cool too :) ). Assassins generally take a lot longer to reproduce than a lot of the other common snails, so if you dont want a bunch of them, and the numbers get out of hand, just bring some to your LFS. Im a strong believer that just about any small organism that can colonize in your tank, unless its harmful or unsightly to you, is going to help keep that fish tank thriving. After all, when keeping an aquarium, we are attempting to recreate the entire functioning natural freshwater ecosystem, not just the fish/plants. The algae, snails, worms, crustaceans, bacteria, protozoans, and more are all going to lead to a functioning environment.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had five assassins turn into close to 100 over the last 7 months. Saw first babies after about three months. Then they came out of the woodwork.

I have given about 80 of them away to my LFS. I do not ask for any store credit. I just hope for some goodwill.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorg67 said:
I had five assassins turn into close to 100 over the last 7 months.

I have given about 80 of them away to my LFS. I do not ask for any store credit. I just hope for some goodwill.
Better than bladder snails! Starting with 5. After a year, I have, idk, 1-2k?

xd, bladder snails suck, they rip up plants and breed like crazy!

OP
Ash1176

Ash1176

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks everyone! Yeah I’m just gonna let them do there thing and pull some out and take em to the Lfs if I get too many!

BigB322

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FishBoy101 said:
Better than bladder snails! Starting with 5. After a year, I have, idk, 1-2k?

xd, bladder snails suck, they rip up plants and breed like crazy!
Grab yourself a couple of loaches they will be gone before you know it!

OP
Ash1176

Ash1176

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks like the 2 assassin snails have been breeding for longer than I thought. Just spotted these 2 little fella’s crawling around!
4CBDC5C9-2878-4E0D-9494-864E211FD844.png
F68FF90C-67E3-4260-880F-941EBDEFE12C.png

BigB322

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ash1176 said:
Looks like the 2 assassin snails have been breeding for longer than I thought. Just spotted these 2 little fella’s crawling around!
4CBDC5C9-2878-4E0D-9494-864E211FD844.png
F68FF90C-67E3-4260-880F-941EBDEFE12C.png
Man if I was able I'd come get a few from you I can't seem to get any of my snails to bread.

New Threads