Assassin Snails And Blackmoors

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Don don, Jun 21, 2018.

1. D

Don don Valued Member Member

Hi everyone.
    I'm just wondering if anyone can help me. It would be appreciated. It might sound a daft question but I'm new to assassin snails lol. I will give you back ground info first.

Anyway I have set up a 55g tank about 2 months ago. It is ago sand bottom with quite a few plants. All water parameters are great. I do a 30% water change every 5-6 days. I have 3 gold cloud minnows and 2 white cloud minnows and they are doing fantastic. The 2 males are showing off the 3 females show off every now and again it's fascinating to watch. They are perfect.

When I got the plants I rinsed them and thought they had nothing on them but I was wrong. I ended up with a few bladder snails and I kept seeing more so I bought 2 assassin snails to deal with them. They are fine and Bury themselves in the sand and come out and go and round the tank etc.

I am about to put my blackmoor into the tank. He's only young yet about 5 months and about 3 inches. I'm taking my time moving him as he is my autistic sons fish and if anything happens to him I'm in big trouble! He generally sleeps at the bottom of the tank (always done this water is good it's just when he's resting he's all over the tank when awake). I know this is going to sound crazy but will the assassin snails go for him while he's asleep? Do I have to move them out or will he be fine with them?

Water parameters in 55g ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 15 gh 8 kh 7 ph 6.8

Water parameters in smaller one ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 20-25. Gh 8 kh 7 ph 6.8

Thank you for reading and sorry for the essay. I thought the more info you have the better!

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

It should be fine. They won't go after anything much bigger than them.do make sure to feed them and throw in some cuttlebone for their shells :)

3. OP
    OP
    D

Thank you for your reply. I'm hoping they don't. I was just worried because I know blackmoors aren't very strong swimmers, can't see perfect and are quite slow lol

They have bladder snails in there at the minute but I haven't seen them feed on them yet (not that I really want to lol). I did see one have some left over flakes that I put on the bottom to see if they were eating. I didn't know about the cuttlebone so thank you for the heads up! I will have a read up on it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
  4. Discus-Tang

you can find cuttlebone in the birds aisle of your pet store. They don't add anything and all the salt is rinsed off.

5. OP
    OP
    D

Ok thank you. I will go get some. Do you just place it in your water or put it in the filter?

6. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

Place it in the water. :) the snails will eat it.

7. OP
    OP
    D

Ok thank you for your help :)

8. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Interesting- I don’t think the snails eat it (at least mine don’t)... I think it dissolves into the water, thus providing extra calcium for your snails shells. I put one broken in my canister filter & another stuck inside a fake log. This is because I have low kH.

9. OP
    OP
    D

My gh is 8 and kh is 7 ph is slightly on the low side though. I'm going to put it in the corner of the tank I will put half a one in and see what happens with them. They like nothing better than burying themselves at the minute and then come out early evening for a prowl around the tank. They are generally at the opposite sides of the tank.

10. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

That’s weird. Mine are always all over it. They like it more than their wafers lol.

11. OP
    OP
    D

Can I just ask what else do you feed them? (Apart from them snacking on snails lol) I'm sorry I've never had them before.

12. Discus-Tang

Sorry, I only keep mystery snails :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice