Assassin snail with a split shell or weird growing shell?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Rejectedbread87, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Rejectedbread87

Rejectedbread87 Valued Member Member

I have a Assassin snail and it looks like his shell is splitting towards the front, but it doesn't look like anything attacked him, it looks like its growing apart. No exposed inner matter but looks like a small trench in his shell. Is that a normal part of growth or am I missing something. This little guy is awesome and has manged to keep my tank snail free, and I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience.

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

That's not normal... I have a group of them myself and all have strong shells... I think he maybe suffering from a lack of calcium... do you have like a cuttlebone or eggs shells in your filter? As the cuttlebone, as I use, or egg shell starts to break down it releases calcium into your water that the snail can absorb and strengthen(sp) the shell so it won't crack anymore...

No since assassins are canivores only giving calcium rich foods, like zuccini and fresh spinach, so move down to what you feed it and gut load :) works for reptiles/amphibians so try feeding your assassins food the calcium rich foods because you are what you eat and i fully believe in that!

Also see if your water may be to sat also the need hard water and higher Ph or their shells will start to decalcify(spelled wrong and I bet its the wrong term xD)

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Sounds like he needs some calcium in his diet. Put a piece of spinace in for him to eat once in awhile and that should help his future shell growth.
    Unfortunately nothing will repair the damage already done. Sorry.
    carol

4. monkeypie102

To my knowledge an assassin will never touch a veggie... strictly carnivores.

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Ok. I've never had them so I really don't know. Just wondering where it gets calcium for it's shell. Maybe a piece of cuttlebone?
    Carol

6. monkeypie102

I bought a cuttlebone and broke it into 4 pieces 1 in the filter and 1 wighed(so sorry its getting late and my spelling is taking a hit) down, they are like driftwood and will float for a while, I have seen my assassins crawling over the one in the tank but not staying long but my MTS and ramshorns spend some time eating away before moving on to green foods :)

That's why I say you are what you eat if the pest snail has eaten loads of calcium then the assassin should get some from eating it :)

7. OP
    OP
    Rejectedbread87

@monkeypie102 ill try the cuttlebone. One quick question, will I noticed any changes in water parameters, maybe a little spike in ph? Just want to know what to look for, so it's not a surprise, and not think its leading to other issues with the water.

8. monkeypie102

Yes the cuttlebone should up the Ph just a tad but nothing to extreme. A higher Ph and hard water is good for their shells :)

9. OP
    OP
    Rejectedbread87

Thank you, this little guy I have had for a while, I thought maybe his prey would keep him supplemented, but now I know. Seems to be doing great otherwise, ill pick up a cuttle bone today on my way home from work.

10. monkeypie102

No problem :) just shoot me a pm if you ever need anymore help snail wise ;)

11. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Cuttlebone should not increase ph, it will increase kh. If ur kh is low (soft water) the ph will raise as the kh stablizes.

12. monkeypie102

So what your saying is in the end your Ph will still raise ;)

13. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

As an alternative...
    You could also use Instant Ocean Calcium Booster. It's in the salt water isle, but is safe to use in fresh water. It shouldn't do anything to your parms. I put it in any tank with snails that I care about... once a week with your water change. Oh.... and the bottle is huge, with a relatively small dosage recommendation. So it'lll last forever.

It may have been mentioned in here somewhere already..... but for snails, you want your ph to be at least 6.0. Preferably well above that. If that is the issue, then the cuttlebone is a better option. Calcium Booster won't help with that.

I can't speak for Assassins.... but I had a Mystery that came to me with a cracked shell. With time, it did repair the shell to a point. The outside layer will never entirely heal...kinda like a shell scar... but the under layers can be rebuilt. Thou they may depend on the snail.

14. OP
    OP
    Rejectedbread87

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice