Assassin Snail Question!!

Fish1999

Hi everyone!! :)

Just hoping for some general thoughts/help on this matter.

I recently added a small live plant to my tank, which came with ramshorn snail eggs on it. Which has now turned into a complete pest snail problem. It’s insane.

I have tried fasting my fish, using the snail trap (I purchased a good one) for the past 2 weeks. I caught maybe 10 snails. Every morning there is not a single snail on the trap.

SO I have resorted to an assassin snail because the population of ramshorns is growing rapidly and I do NOT want them in my tank.

My question is, how old/large does the assassin snail need to be before it will begin hunting and feasting on the snails? It’s pretty tiny at the moment, assuming could only eat small/young snails.

I am looking to add a second assassin snail now to speed up the process.

What are the odds the two assassins will reproduce ?

Once the pest snails are all gone…. Will the assassins go for my cherry shrimp?

I can give details on my tank if you wish!!! However it can be found on previous threads of mine in great detail!

Thank you so much in advance!! :)

mattgirl

It is impossible to give odds on the assassins reproducing since we can't tell male from female so just count on them reproducing. :D

No, I don't think the assassins will go for your shrimp. I have to think the shrimp are much to fast for the snails to catch. With just one or two assassins i don't think you have to worry about them running out of ramshorns though. The ramshorns will breed faster than the assassins can eat them.

The most efficient snail trap I have found is a piece of lettuce sitting in a low sided dish in the tank. The ramshorns will go after the lettuce and can be easily lifted out once the snails start eating. My ramshorns can't resist iceberg lettuce. They don't care as much for other leafy veggies although they will chow down on zucchini.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KartoKartofel
Replies
Views
1Sushi1
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views