Assassin Snail MIA

Skuter782

About 5 weeks ago, I added an Assassin snail to my daughter's 10 gallon tank to help with pest snails that came in on a plant. Everything seemed to be going well for about 3 weeks. Fewer pest snails, very active assassin snail. For the past 2 weeks, I have not seen any trace of it and the pest snails are getting larger (in size) than ever. I have dug around in the gravel (I know- sand is better for them) with no success in finding it, not even finding its shell. It was able to burrow about halfway into the gravel, with the driftwood over the top of it. The other occupants of the tank are Platys, Aspidoras Spilotus catfish, and a Flying Fox. When doing water changes and cleaning the tank, I add Seachem Neutral Regulator 7.0, Stability, and Stress Coat. Is something I add during water changes harmful (could something cause a shell to dissolve - nothing has affected the pest snails)? Or could one of the fish killed it or might it have climbed out? The only openings it could get out are where there are cut outs in the lid for the filter and feeding access. I never saw it on the glass of the tank any time I saw it during the first 3 weeks before it went missing.

BigManAquatics

Snails are sneaky quick, very easily could have escaped. Don't think anything in there would actually eat the shell, just the soft tissue part.

Skuter782

Thanks. I am afraid it might have escaped, but I can’t find it anywhere. The tank is on my daughter’s dresser and the only place I can’t see is behind it. Maybe I will find a snail shell in a few years when we move the dresser, lol.

BigManAquatics

No gap to shine a flashlight into?

Skuter782

No gap to shine a flashlight into?
Just can’t get a good angle to see down the back and can’t see from underneath either.

mattgirl

Snails are masters at hiding and assassin snails aren't that big to begin with. I am not saying it couldn't happen but I have never had an assassin climb out of my tank. Look real close on the driftwood. Mine often hang out on the driftwood in the tank they are in.

I lost a nerite in a 5.5 gallon tank. I thought I had looked everywhere it could possibly be. I finally gave up. A day or so later there it was doing it normal snail stuff. :) Even my half dollar size mystery snail has managed to hide from me. Not for long but hidden nonetheless.

Skuter782

Snails are masters at hiding and assassin snails aren't that big to begin with. I am not saying it couldn't happen but I have never had an assassin climb out of my tank. Look real close on the driftwood. Mine often hang out on the driftwood in the tank they are in.

I lost a nerite in a 5.5 gallon tank. I thought I had looked everywhere it could possibly be. I finally gave up. A day or so later there it was doing it normal snail stuff. :) Even my half dollar size mystery snail has managed to hide from me. Not for long but hidden nonetheless.
There has been no sightings of this snail for 2 weeks between 3 people checking at all different times of day/night. I think if it were hiding, one of us would have seen it at least once. I have also moved all decor, looked inside things, moved and rolled the driftwood, rearranged plants, dug the gravel down to the bottom glass over 95% of the tank all at the same time and nothing. If it crawled out, there’s really nothing I can do about that, but if I did something to kill it, then I would want to know so I wouldn’t repeat it.

Fisch

I thought for a couple of months that my Assassin was gone... like in your case I was not able to find it and assumed that it had died, buried deep in the gravel. Then one day that little bugger showed me the bumble bee hind end.....I now just trust that he is somewhere in the tank. I cross my fingers for you.

Debbie1986

I have a few assassins. 2 I never see in my 38 gallon tank and 1 i see on occasion in my 20 long.

since both tank have cories, I figure they'd survive on left over cory cat food if needed.

if they die, you will find the empty shell - it's distinctive. I purchased 5 a while back - found 3 empty shells, but 2 were always mating so i have at least 1 confirmed off spring ( in the 20 long)

found him in the tank as a baby - hitched a ride to other tank somehow & has been doing well.

mattgirl

There has been no sightings of this snail for 2 weeks between 3 people checking at all different times of day/night. I think if it were hiding, one of us would have seen it at least once. I have also moved all decor, looked inside things, moved and rolled the driftwood, rearranged plants, dug the gravel down to the bottom glass over 95% of the tank all at the same time and nothing. If it crawled out, there’s really nothing I can do about that, but if I did something to kill it, then I would want to know so I wouldn’t repeat it.
I do hope the little guy shows up eventually. If something has happened to it I feel sure it was through no fault of yours. Sometimes we lose snails or fish no matter how well we take care of them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KartoKartofel
Replies
Views
DerekO24
  • Fish1999
  • Snails
Replies
Views
mattgirl