Assassin Snail In Cycling Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by redman77, Apr 19, 2019.

1. redman77Valued MemberMember

I am in the middle of a fishless cycle of a 75 gallon planted tank (nitrites just appeared a day ago).

I already have an outbreak of snails that hitched a ride on my plants. I planned on eventually adding a couple assassin snails to my tank, and I'm wondering if I can do that now or if I should wait until the cycle completes. I know snails are tough little creatures in general (the current snails seem fine), so I'm wondering if it would be ok for the assassins.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

I'd wait rather than risk losing snails I paid money for lol!

3. redman77Valued MemberMember

Yeah, I think I'm just impatient to put something in the tank. If there is a chance it could hurt them I won't do it. I'm hoping someone with experience pops in and says "totally fine go for it!" :)

4. MorosithValued MemberMember

I'd wait until my cycle is finished. The assassin snails will have no issue taking care of the problem even if you wait a while.

5. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Lol, I don't think anyone with credible experience would tell you to put any living critter in a cycling tank.

6. redman77Valued MemberMember

You're probably right, but just know you crushed my dreams :)

7. MorosithValued MemberMember

I know it’s hard to wait but you’re doing the right thing! Your dreams would be more crushed if you bought snails or fish only to have them die because the tank wasn’t ready. Stay strong my friend!

8. redman77Valued MemberMember

Thanks, I will! Now to obsess over which kind of corys to get once the cycle is complete

9. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

:( Oooh, I'm so sorry! But ya don't want to chance it!

10. ShellbackValued MemberMember

Oh, that's easy. Panda Cory's for sure. At least 5 of them. They are active, comical and only grow to about 1 7/8 inches.