assassin snail egg questions

Discussion in 'Snails' started by monkeypie102, Dec 9, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

For those that have assassins and raised their babies successfully how long after the egg is laid does it take to finally see a baby? My first egg was laid mid September and it is now early December... shouldn't I bee seeing babies by now? I have noticed the eggs first laid aren't there anymore and she has been laying more eggs along with my 2 female in a seperate tank... should I be worried?

Not even a guess? :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

There must be information somewhere out there about breeding them. Fishlore isn't the only tool online, you can get more opinions.

I don't keep assassins, but with most snails it depends on how much food is available. It is hard for juveniles to get enough food unless you over-feed slightly or have little baby snails for them to eat. Do you have males in there or is it just females laying eggs hoping for a boyfriend?

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

I have 1 male and 2 females recently the pair in my 29 haven't seperated at all...

I have read that it takes 3 weeks to hatch and 3 weeks afterward to start seeing them, however it has been at least 10 weeks and not a one... I tossed a little over 500 MTS in the tank and there are all different sizes of them same with ramshorns as well so plenty of food...

Also I understand there are other sources I just try FL more than any other site... so don't think I haven't actually looked for the answer before I posted the thread, I am just looking for a real time line from people that have bred before.

Edit: just re-read that... came out way more snarky than expected... sorry it wasn't ment to sound that rude :/

4. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

That is OK. I don't know much about assassins really. Is it possible that with that many snails that your eggs are being eaten by the MTS and Ramshorns?

Remember that assassins do like to stay hidden in the sand unless they are hunting. At newborn size you mightn't be able to see them.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

All the information that I've seen says the eggs should hatch within 3 to 4 weeks. If they haven't hatched by now and it's been 10 weeks, they are not going to hatch.

Too, I've seen information that it is impossible to sex these snails and there must be a male and a female for them to reproduce. Perhaps you need to get a few more to increase the chances of having a pair. (?)

Good luck!

Ken

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I know some critters can lay inviable eggs without a male around (I believe angels can do it). Maybe you got all females instead? I was lucky and happened to get one of each. I've never seen any eggs though, just started seeing little babies snailing about. Be sure they're getting enough to eat - not necessarily overfeeding the tank, but I saw more baby snails when I fed shrimp pellets each night. Whenever I saw a baby during the day I'd put a little piece in front of it to make sure it got some food. It was fun to see other snails come out of the woodwork :)

7. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Oh I am more than sure I got a male female pair as the two are Sen together frequently and the brighter colored of the two is always on top of the dull one...

I need to buy some shrimp pellets in case though I at night I see rise of the zobies when the MTS come out at night xD there are tons still lol..

8. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Sooo the eggs weren't infertal!!! Just spotted, after 3 months, a baby assassin!!!!!! He was snacking on the hydra that found their was into my tank a few days ago :) omg I am soooo freaking excited lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice