Assasin snail mutilated?

KevinDrums
hey guys. so I have a well planted 10 gallon tank, with 6 male guppies and 1 assassin snail.. I got 2 assassin snails because I have a massive pest snail problem. if I had to guess, there are probably over 30 of them in my tank.. so I got the assassins to rid me of these tiny little pests. got them home, and acclimated them as per usual. plopped them in, and after about 2 hours they were both buried in the substrate, doing their thing!! a few days goes by, and everything seems to be going well. but this morning, I woke up to a weird sight.. one of my assassins was on my cryptocoryne wendtiI leaf, but its ‘foot’ was completely mutilated. its like he slid over the blade of a serated knife. it was not moving at all, but it was still stuck to the leaf.. no siphon or antenae to be found on him. so I buried him outside :,(

I understand snails can be sensitive to water parameters and temp.. my tank is at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 or so nitrate. temp is at 78. I do a 50% water change every week. so I know it wasn't params that caused its death.

anybody know what couldve happened here? I was thinking maybe the snail died while stuck to the leaf, and the guppies may have picked at it? idk, I'm kind of shocked, never expected to see something like that.

Advertisement
kallililly1973
Sorry about your snail yes it does sound like it died and the guppies finished it off... without a pic other than trying to picture your description of its condition we may never know what happened... unless it was mistaken for an MTS instead of an assassin and it was the assassins first victim

Advertisement
KevinDrums
I knew I shouldve grabbed a pic. I just wanted to get it out as fast as possible, as anyone would. but they were both without a doubt assassins. I picked them myself from the Assassin tank at my LFS. theyre both identical in size. maybe 3/4 of an inch. it was just a wild sight to see. shreds of the foot just swaying in the water, while still attatched to it. some peices even wrapping around the the shell. I was like, what in the absolute F am I seeing??

KevinDrums
but that still brings me to my first question, how did it even die in the first place? would a guppy kill a living assassin snail? was it maybe sick with a disease or parasite and just died, and THEN the guppies ate it? aarrgghh I'm so lost here lol

kallililly1973
Despite guppies being called guppies which sounds like a friendly name they are viscous sharks especially if your assassin was suffering from something if the guppies see a free meal they are all over it without question...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Craig_84
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question