Aspirating A Betta With Dropsy Anyone Tried??

Missylafay

Reaction score
Hi,
There is minimal info on this with small fish. Has anyone tried with a betta or small fish? Any info, successful or not would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A quick Google search came up with 7 YouTube videos on it. So I wouldn't say minimal info.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would look for a vet. Dropsy is often infectious and antibiotics is the treatment. If it was due to congestive heart failure or something you couldn't completely control medically then you could perform a tap.

OP
M

Missylafay

Reaction score
Yes, shes on her last leg, I've been meding and baths. At this point it's about the only thing I can do for her now to keep her comfortable at least as I don't want to euthanize. What I mean by minimal is all I found clinically was for larger fish, an the few betta things were hobbyists. David if you found something you think I might not have seen could you post link? Would be grateful

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If medication and baths didn't work then she's probably going into organ failure. Aspirating her only relieves the symptoms of but but it comes back again and it would be stressful to repeat the process. Better to euthanize.

OP
M

Missylafay

Reaction score
Thanks David those are 2 I've seen and I'm not entirely sure the 2nd is real :/

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The others were in different languages and poor camera work so I'm not sure of them so I didn't link them. I know its possible since one of our members did it but I can't remember who.
angelcraze or Lchi87 do you remember who it was. I think it was a month or so ago .

OP
M

Missylafay

Reaction score
That would be awesome if I could speak to them. I've taken up the habit of taking in sick/unwanted fish but this is only the second time (thankfully) encountering dropsy. I attempted to try aspirating yesterday but chickened out both time I had the needle to her, shes such a sweet girl I'd hate to hurt her. Weirdly she actually seems to be doing better after dosing her with the clove oil before the attempt.

wodesorel

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep passing by this thread, but I have to jump in and say that I don't see how you could aspirate her without harming her.

I know cats, and when a vet is going to aspirate there is a lot going on, it's way more involved than just poking a needle in and drawing out fluid. The area of where the fluid is must be identified. Is it around the heart? Lungs? Free floating in the abdomen? Once the location has been identified, usually requiring x-ray or ultrasound to confirm, next comes figuring out if any anatomy has shifted. When fluid accumulates, organs and blood vessels can be pushed out of place, making it dangerous to assume that everything is where it's supposed to be. Finally, an appropriately sized needle is used to prevent additional damage and bleeding. Depending on the location of the fluid, the animal is normally anesthetized so it cannot move and cause further harm, and the sample may even be taken using ultrasound as a guide for safety and accuracy.

I just do not see a way to attempt any of this in something as small as a fish. You can't palpate to figure out anatomy or location of the fluid. Imaging is out. Any attempt would be a completely blind stab in the dark. Also, even an insulin needle would be like a knife on an animal this size.

There is such a thing as doing more harm than good. I can very much understand the need to do as much as you can, but this seems excessive. You could easily damage an organ or cause severe pain, not to mention additional bacterial risks from a non-sterile field and the wound that is left behind.

New Threads