Asking a ???? for my cousin.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My cousin, taking the advice of the lady at the LFS bought a 39 gallon tank and bought 4 african cichlids. The two electric yellow ones have started Tail slapping eachother. These fish at the LFS were only in a 10 gallon tank together and are still pretty small at only about 2 inches a piece. Basically I know tail slapping is a form of fighting between fish and that at this point she should move the agressor out of this tank and put him on his own. I have told her this and she says noooooooo it will pass they will get used to eachother. I don't agree and was wondering if anyone else could back me up on this for the best interest of these fish.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
africans need to be overstocked and in nothing less than a 55 gallon...as they grow and mature, they will be at eachother all the time..make sure she has plenty of caves/hiding spots for them to call their own....it won't pass unfortunately...

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks Shawnie!!!!!!!!!!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shawnie said:
africans need to be overstocked and in nothing less than a 55 gallon...as they grow and mature, they will be at eachother all the time..make sure she has plenty of caves/hiding spots for them to call their own....it won't pass unfortunately...
+1. A bigger tank, more mbuna & heaps of caves are the way to go with mbuna. Nothing else will help solve the aggression. It will in fact get worse as the fish get older.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do they generally tail slap only or do they get more violent as they get older????

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Someone with more experience could set up a 39gal tank with Africans and have success. Shawnie made the point of them needing to be overstocked and really that is the key. You won't stop the aggression you goal is to spread it out among many fish. If she is new to cichlids her best bet would be a bigger tank and a larger stock number.

I don't agree with moving the aggressive fish out of the tank, all you are going to do is have another fish take the ones place who you removed. They are aggressive fish, when you have very few Africans in a tank it often appears you have one aggressive fish. They are all aggressive fish you are just noticing the dominant one. Removing that fish only opens the door for another to takes its place.

Like said lots of rock work/caves and more fish to spread the aggression around, best case do those two things in a bigger tank.

Brian

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads