Asked my LFS what they might like to buy

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
While at the LFS today I told them I was interested in breeding and had a 40 at home doing nothing. I told her I had guppies and she snickered at me lol. Then I told her I was thinking Rams and her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree lol. Are Rams a more difficult fish to breed? She definitely was interested in buying them if I did. She said her breeder hardly ever had them.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did some research on ram breeding since I am seriously considering breeding EBRs, and no they don't seem to be difficult to breed at all, just make sure you have room. For better odds you should get several fish, then once some pair off and start breeding you should evacuate the tank, or move them to another tank if possible because of aggression.

This kind of breeding takes several tanks to work efficiently, but I'm sure you could do it with just one tank and a divider if you had to. You also have to consider where you are going to grow the fry out at.

I would work with electric blue rams, it will cost you more to get it going since they aren't readily available in most places, but the demand for EBRs is much higher also.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I spoke with the woman, she was raving about Bolivian rams which aren't extremely hard to get a hold of here but a bit higher price. The only electric blue's I have seen ran about $30-$35 for one. I have seen electric blue JD's ($25 each)but my tank is too small.

My concern on rams was they required a lower pH(5.5-7) than I have from tap (8.0) and thought a slow acclimation would take care of that or if I bought locally I can only assume they are okay for my higher pH if they are bred here also. But would they be able to reproduce normally in a higher pH or would they at all? I really like the look of the German Blues and Electric Blues but like I said they may cost an arm and a leg and if they aren't a proven pair I may have to buy 4 or 5 at once before getting a good couple which is WAY out of my current budget lol.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it depends on the type of project that you are doing really. I just purchased a large group (20+) of blue gene x blue gene jack dempsey fry, I should get a mix of around 25% ebjd, 25% regular and 50% blue gene JD. This was really cheap because they are so small, but I have time and tanks to grow them out. If you go through a local pet store you can expect to pay a bunch up front, but at least you get to choose what fish you want. For EBRs, the only reason I haven't started a breeding project with them is because I haven't found them cheap enough yet. There are matched breeding pairs on aquabid right now, and I may go with one of those eventually, but until then I have enough projects going lol.

As far as the PH thing, personally I don't think it will make much of an issue, however I would research it. Lowering PH with something like driftwood or peatmoss is pretty stable, if needed at all.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
blkdeath75 said:
When I spoke with the woman, she was raving about Bolivian rams which aren't extremely hard to get a hold of here but a bit higher price. The only electric blue's I have seen ran about $30-$35 for one. I have seen electric blue JD's ($25 each)but my tank is too small.

My concern on rams was they required a lower pH(5.5-7) than I have from tap (8.0) and thought a slow acclimation would take care of that or if I bought locally I can only assume they are okay for my higher pH if they are bred here also. But would they be able to reproduce normally in a higher pH or would they at all? I really like the look of the German Blues and Electric Blues but like I said they may cost an arm and a leg and if they aren't a proven pair I may have to buy 4 or 5 at once before getting a good couple which is WAY out of my current budget lol.
I was wondering which type of rams you were referring to.

Bolivian rams SHOULD be able to spawn on your PH. I have two females and one lays eggs on a fairly regular basis. I cannot imagine a male being infertile in 8.0PH.

You can also keep an eye on Aquabid for GBR's. Sometimes you'll come across a really good/inexpensive auction.

Hope this helps!

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just for another opinion, I keep and breed discus....but can't keep rams alive to save my life. I wouldn't say they are easy by any means. Just a personal opinion.

You should only need to lower pH for breeding, and that's only to get the eggs to hatch. Harder pH toughens the egg shells, 1 making it more difficult for the male to fertilize them and 2 more difficult for the babies to hatch out.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I have heard that a higher pH causes a lower fertility/hatch rate, but have never heard that it could cause infertility all together.

I have a pair of EBRs, but they are still too young...not even sure what breeding age is for them. As they hang out together, I'm hoping that they become a breeding pair. And, my attempts at keeping GBRs has been a struggle. The last pair I had was breeding every 20-25 days like clockwork, but the fry never survived. And, then my tank went through a mini-cycle and the GBRs died. They are very difficult to keep....at least for me.

Good luck with your attempts.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads