Artificial Plant Frustrations!!!

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was very frustrated to find that the artificial plant I recently added had found a way to rust and introduce toxins into my tank!
As it turns out, the branches all have an interior metal wire for support which stick out at the end of the last bulb. Some of the tips were exposed and have rusted. Its a $20 medium sized plant I bought from PetSmart, so I thought it would be safe.. NOPE.

I've tried to take a picture but my cell is terrible with macro shots so I'm sorry for the poor quality.
Once it's dry I am going to hot glue the tips to cover the exposed metal so it can't rust and then try it again.

Just so frustrating.. *sigh*...IMG_20200401_210857224.jpgIMG_20200401_210830867.jpg

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've had bad experience with PetSmart too. I eventually switched over to live plants, but I do have some fake plants in my tank. Examined properly and cleaned of course.

OP
C

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gel0city said:
I've had bad experience with PetSmart too. I eventually switched over to live plants, but I do have some fake plants in my tank. Examined properly and cleaned of course.
Lesson learned, to bad it was the hard way. I would like to add some real plants in, I'm sure the nerites will love it. But the budget dictates all until my funds are built up a bit more. Maybe I can find clippings to replant from locals.

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Reaction score
Go for plants that are easy to care for, grow fast, and easily propagate. One bunch of anacharis, hornwort, or dwarf sag (all fairly inexpensive to start with, and anacharis is easily found at petsmarts) can eventually fill an entire tank.

OP
C

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BlackOsprey said:
Go for plants that are easy to care for, grow fast, and easily propagate. One bunch of anacharis, hornwort, or dwarf sag (all fairly inexpensive to start with, and anacharis is easily found at petsmarts) can eventually fill an entire tank.
Thank you for the advise. I will have to check those out. Much sppreciated.

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Reaction score
No problem. Just be sure to check out appropriate lights and ferts too. Faster growth means they need more of both than java ferns or anubias do.

OP
C

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BlackOsprey said:
No problem. Just be sure to check out appropriate lights and ferts too. Faster growth means they need more of both than java ferns or anubias do.
It will be interested to see if the LED light strips I have set up would be anything close to sufficient for plants. Am curious if plants use only the light or heat from the light as well.

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BlackOsprey said:
Well said! If you are taking care of the plants right, then your nitrates will go down and they will multiply. Just remember to clean them unless you want pest snails (they are harmless, I have some)

OP
C

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gel0city said:
Well said! If you are taking care of the plants right, then your nitrates will go down and they will multiply. Just remember to clean them unless you want pest snails (they are harmless, I have some)
Something else to learn, but better than learning the hard way with that too.

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Reaction score
CaptAndrews said:
It will be interested to see if the LED light strips I have set up would be anything close to sufficient for plants. Am curious if plants use only the light or heat from the light as well.
In my experience, faster-growing plants need stronger lights than what comes with most kits or LED hoods, but it's certainly worth a try. It also seems to me like heat has nothing to do with it. Plants grow just as well or better from relatively cool LED light than other forms of lighting that give off more heat.

mrsP

Reaction score
Many live plants don't need strong lights, even fast growing ones. I have few plant varieties in my 5 gallon, cheap light tank and it's thiriving. Guppy grass, vals, java fern, even dwarf lily is doing great. Many stem plants do well in moderate light, and they are usually quite cheap to buy. You can grow them in any substrate, add root tabs when needed.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CaptAndrews said:
Lesson learned, to bad it was the hard way. I would like to add some real plants in, I'm sure the nerites will love it. But the budget dictates all until my funds are built up a bit more. Maybe I can find clippings to replant from locals.
You probably know this now, but you could have bought 3 live plants with what that one fake plant cost.

OP
C

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
You probably know this now, but you could have bought 3 live plants with what that one fake plant cost.
No actually, I didn't know that. The last time I glanced at the in store plants, they were $15 to $20. That was a while ago but I also deal with California prices for everything.
Thankfully the gas is down to $2.60'ish from $3.30 pre-Covid.
I'll have to have another look at the plant section. Other than the big chains, here are 2 LFS with 20 miles but they are both 95% salt water geared. :/

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CaptAndrews said:
No actually, I didn't know that. The last time I glanced at the in store plants, they were $15 to $20. That was a while ago but I also deal with California prices for everything.
Thankfully the gas is down to $2.60'ish from $3.30 pre-Covid.
I'll have to have another look at the plant section. Other than the big chains, here are 2 LFS with 20 miles but they are both 95% salt water geared. :/
Yep, California might make a difference. Here I can buy live plants for around $7.00 all day long.

OP
C

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
Yep, California might make a difference. Here I can buy live plants for around $7.00 all day long.
When I started traveling to Arizona for work, I kept seeing these strange tall and stringy plants flourishing in the side of the interstate (just searched and found out their called ocotillo). Then I saw an aquarium plant called crinum calamistratum and thought it looked like the underwater cousin of the one from the highway.
Random thoughts.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
small live plants cost 5.99 and it takes only a few months to grow to a much larger one.

I have a light I bought on amazon for my 1 heavily planted tank. The other tank gets diffused light from outside + hood for 12+ hours ( no algae)

I love java ferns and water wisteria. My bettas love to sleep in both

I have a stack of plastic ones form when I first started. I just need to toss them.

New Threads