artificial fish 10 Gallon Tank 

pearlyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi all,
I have been maintaining a 10gallon tank with goldfish...I got fed up vth these fishes..they are frequently dying...no matter what..I check waterparameters,change filters, feed right amount of food..and still I spent lots of bucks since I love them..
But now I also got lill busy and got no time 2 run after the fish stores and also don want to sell the tank,so planning 2 put some artificial real-looking fishes,but I donno how they work and where I can find them...please can nyone share info about artificial fishes!!?

thanks in anticipation!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for the tough times you've had with your fish.

Would you like to perhaps run the tank with fish that are more well suited to a 10 gallon environment? If so, please advise and we'll help you.

I personally do not know anything about where you'd get fake fish.

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Goldfish are very messy, and if you have multipule, they may be too much for a ten gallon. I would go for some smaller tropical fish. You could slowly get neon tetras, corys, and maybe a honey gourami or guppys or something. also, if you change the filter too often, you may be messing with the nitrogen cycle in the tank. what were your water peramiters and what type of test were you using? (test strips are not very reliable, api master test kit is more accurate.)

pearlyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mine is freshwater tank vth no heater...i heard only goldfish will go vth it..i donno if other fishes live long and also they r expensive..i already did lot of research on all dat stuff..??..not knowing wht 2 do ..so frustrated nd confused

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't know where you live, but tropical fish around here are usually between 1 and 5 dollars a fish. Bettas (which need heaters, as do most tropical fish) are very pretty and can live for several years. Neon tetras are also very pretty in a school. Fish dying frequently is usually a sign of something wrong (although it sounds like you were doing everything you could/knew to do). I'm sorry, but I don't know about any artificial fishies. If it were me, I'd probably try restocking with some other fish. Goldfish need larger amounts of room than most people think, so it's possible they were just too crowded I guess??

P.S.
Welcome to Fish Lore!

pearlyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i put only 4 or 5 goldfish..does other kinds of fish need less maintenance than goldfish?
if so please suggest other kind of cheap fish and which are not very sensitive like goldfish and which does not need heater..i live in losangeles..
I said too expensive coz i spent so much on fishes all d year and they keep on dying..i want 2 be alive sooooo long!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't offer any advice on artificial fish I'm afraid but I can say that 4-5 Goldfish would need a tank in the 60gal region. The general rule is 20gallons for the first Goldfish & 10gallons for each fish after that because they produce lots of waste.

I would start by reading up on the nitrogen cycle (click the underlined words) if you don't already know about it. I would also urge you to read up on fishless cycling of the aquarium. Once you are well versed in those two subjects you will be in a much better position to stock your aquarium with the confidence that your fish will survive. Also don't forget that you need to do weekly water changes to remove some of the fish wastes.

Some good fish for you to start with would be the humble Guppy. They are cheap, easy to find & are generally pretty hardy. Other species I find to be hardy are Lemon Tetras, Silvertip Tetras & Harlequin Rasboras. Forget the Neons for now as they are not very hardy & generally don't do well in newly established tanks. Having a single male Betta would be an excellent choice but you may want more than one fish in the tank which would make these unsuitable as they don't usually do well with tankmates.

Start out by just adding a few fish to your tank & see how they go over a month or so with proper water changes & feeding. With luck things will turn out well for you & you will be able to add a few more fish. Just remember to stock the tank slowly, not to overstock the tank & to carry out partial water changes each week & you shouldn't have too many problems. There is a possibility that your water is not suitable for sustaining fish but that is a very small chance so I think you should be able to manage to have something. Good luck.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe I'm not up on my lingo..... what's vth?

pearlyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
vth is with..

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
welcome to fishlore pearlyfish, sorry to hear you have been having problems setting up your tank.

As said above, goldfish are very messy fish, they produce a lot of waste that decomposes into ammonia which is very toxic to fish. Because of this, it is recommended to have 20 gallons for 1 goldfish, plus 10 gallons for each extra goldfish. E.G. 4 goldfish would need 50 gallons, and 5 would need 60. If your goldfish were dying so quickly, you may have problems other than just your selection of fish. It sounds like you were given much advice by pet store employees, sadly, they often give very poor advice.

The nitrogen cycle is possibly the most important thing to learn about when you start keeping fish. If you click the underlined words, it will bring you to a page that describes the process. Basically, all fish produce waste, this waste decomposes into ammonia, ammonia is then processed by bacteria to form nitrite, nitrite is further processed by bacteria to form nitrate, and nitrate remains in the aquarium. Ammonia and nitrite are extremely toxic to fish in any amount, if fish are added to an aquarium that has not been "cycled" to have the proper bacteria to process ammonia and nitrite, you will find the fish will quickly die from the toxins. More info is given in the link on how to cycle a tank in the link, basically you need to have a source of ammonia and then watch your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. As bacteria begins to develop, the ammonia levels will begin to drop, and then nitrite levels will start to rise. After nitrites show up, the nitrite levels will also begin to drop, once ammonia and nitrite read at 0ppm, and nitrates are present, you now have the proper types of bacteria to have a cycled tank, at this point it is considered safe to add fish. Even in a cycled aquarium, it is still necessary to do weekly water changes in order to control nitrate levels. Nitrates are less toxic to fish than ammonia and nitrite, but if they build up to 20+ ppm, you may start to have troubles. You mentioned that you watched your water parameters, do you think you could tell us what they were at while the fish were dying?

I also notice that you use aquarium salt, this is a good example of poor advice given from pet stores. It is sold as a stress reducer etc. Really it irritates fish and can cause further problems, some fish are especially sensitive to salt and can easily be killed by salt added to the aquarium. Ive seen people post a link called something like "the salt myth" or something like that, hopefully someone will be able to post that soon, it explains it better than I could.

As for fish for your ten gallon tank, many fish sold at pet stores are unsuitable for such a tank.
Although there are a few flaws in that site, so dont follow advice given there exclusively, its always best to run stocking ideas by members of this forum before executing

I am unsure about artificial fish as well, sorry i cannot help you there, hopefully all the other advice is useful

edit: wow! tripple ninja'd, I knew I was slow.... but, geez!

I also noticed that the nitrogen cycle wasnt linked for some reason, heres the link: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

pearlyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@ Nutter,

thanx 4 advise..but the fish u suggested dont require heater?

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, they do, but I think you can get a 10 gallon heater for like $15????

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with charlemagne, heaters arent too expensive, and are very important if keeping tropical fish. That being said, I believe rosy reds are pretty hardy fish that arent sensitive to temperature changes and dont really need a heater. They are sold very cheaply as feeder fish and I believe the grow to about 2 inches max, so I would imagine they would be nice for a 10 gallon aquarium, 3-4 would probably do well in your aquarium by themselves, I hear they are fascinating fish too

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LyndaB said:
Maybe I'm not up on my lingo..... what's vth?
pearlyfish said:
vth is with..
Not writing in textspeak would be awesome. ;D Avoids confusion, and the easier your posts are to read, the more responses you are likely to get.

Welcome to fishlore. I'd like to clarify - are you wanting plastic fish, or are you wanting to try again with real ones? I'd hate for us to push you into getting real fish if it isn't something you really want to try again.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

You say you're in Los Angeles, California? What temp is it in your place? If it's above 72 all the time, you really won't need a heater. But they are fairly inexpensive.

-Lisa

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kunsthure said:
Welcome to Fish Lore!

You say you're in Los Angeles, California? What temp is it in your place? If it's above 72 all the time, you really won't need a heater. But they are fairly inexpensive.

-Lisa
depends on the fish OP gets... I was going to try to persuade toward a betta, and they need a heater.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You and your bettas, Meenu.

-Lisa

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kunsthure said:
Welcome to Fish Lore!

-Lisa

Im gonna have to respectfully disagree, it kinda depends on this situation, most houses have their temperature drop several degrees over night and the temperature drops could stress the fish out, I guess you could say a heater isnt necessary, but I would definitely have to recommend having one regardless of the climate

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello, Iv seen some Artificial/fake fish in a pet shop before. I forget which one though, it could have been a smaller/not chain one Sorry! They where suppose to swim around etc. some had motion sensors. All I could suggest is checking your local stores and doing Internet searches. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. You could always learn more about real fish and try again knowing the right stuff though, theres lots of great info here!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kunsthure said:
You and your bettas, Meenu.

-Lisa
I don't even have one. I just figured that one betta by himself in a cycled 10 should be easy to take care of.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads