Arrow Shark? Signal Barb?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Swifterz, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Swifterz

Swifterz Valued Member Member

was at a LFS yesterday and they had some beautiful fish, maybe 5" long or so. they were silver w/ a little bit of a red hue on their fins, and they had a real shiny body with "spots" that reflected kind of like a giant danio would. they were labled as "arrow sharks". i asked about them and the guy said they are peaceful (similar to bala sharks) and they reach 10". they were $9.99 each.

i was tempted to get them but i'm pretty much fully stocked. plus they only had two and the guy said they do best in groups of 3 or 4. i also wanted to know more about them, so when i got home i googled "arrow shark" and i couldn't find anything about them.

i finally found out they are called "Labiobarbus Festivus" and are often called "Signal Barbs".

However, searching for any of these (arrow shark, signal barb, labiobarbus festivus) get me pretty much no results in regards to where they come from, their behavior, etc.

i'm interested in them! the pictures don't do them justice. they were BEAUTIFUL in the store.

has anyone ever seen or heard of these? or know anything about them?

2. p

platyfish Valued Member Member

According to: http://fishbase.org.cn/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=12064 :;hi1

They originally come from: Asia: Southern Malay Peninsula (Pahang, Selangor, Endau-Rompin, Johore) and Borneo, Indonesia (Kapuas, Seruyan, Kahajan, Barito).

and are Found in clear to black waters and never to rarely in extremely or slightly muddy waters. Feeds on detritus and insect larvae

become 24 cm max, and inhabit water regions of 24-26 Celsius

The sure are beautiful:--  

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  3. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

I think you might have copied the wrong URL :) That fish is a cichlid, not a barb... looks like a green terror, but I could be wrong.

Correct URL from what I assume is the same website:  

4. p

platyfish Valued Member Member

Sorry!! I fixed it. If you ask the manager or whatever at the LFS, he really should be able to tell you more about the fish...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice