Arowana tips? Feeding?

Colbyxxs

Hey guys, so I just got my first Arowana over the weekend after months and months of research. I had the perfect introduction tank & a forever home after that in my big tank. I just was curious as to what is the best thing to feed them that isn’t live as of right now. Eventually I’ll go to live crickets, or even shrimp or something. But so far he’s only eaten blood worms and a bit of krill from time to time. But usually he’ll only eat the blood worms & once he ate some of the sticks, after they softened up.
Keep in mind he’s only 2-3 months old atleast. No issues at all, he seemed to be right at home the second he went in with my guys. he usually hangs out up in the brush area going in and out. He’s very peaceful.

Ouse

The peacefulness is set to change... long term, the arowana will likely predate on the smaller tankmates and potentially reach four feet in length. Just be prepared for that if you’re not already.

Try getting him off of the bloodworms or at least feed it less often than other foods; as a staple bloodworms are unhealthy; more like fast food. Go for pellets designed for large carnivores (such as arowana) as the staple, while feeding frozen foods (not so much bloodworms or foods with similar protein and fat quantities) every now and then.

SamMe

Which type of Arowana do you have? I can't tell by the picture. I was pretty shocked a few weeks ago to find a silver one that was about 3" at our lfs. I've never seen one being sold in my area. It was in a small tank up by the cash register of all places, lol. I think they knew it would sell fast enough they wouldn't have to worry about him outgrowing it. : )

Yeoy

Find a good quality pellet that's suitable for the fish and get it onto those as early as you can. Live foods sounds great but they're expensive over time (this fish will get an enormous appetite), can introduce disease into your tank and over time can turn your fish away from prepared foods.

Find a pellet, convince your fish to eat it early and keep that going moving forward. That's the best move with any of the large carnivorous fish. Also as above, you won't have those tank-mates for that long. I'd expect to maintain it pretty much by itself, the possible exception of things that are too small for it to notice/eat like shrimp, or a large bottom dweller like a common pleco.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• singlecutguitar
  • Arowana
Replies
Views
Thevar
Replies
Views
Al913
Replies
Views
swayamsd