Arowana -everything I Need To Know

MaximumRide14
HI guys! A family member of mine has been interested in getting an arowana. Don't worry, I know how big this project would be. I know an arowana would need at least 200 gallons. But I'm not sure what else. What wattage heater for a 200 gallon? Would I need a sump instead of a regular filter? I've only had sponge and cartridge filters before so I don't really know how sumps or canister filters work. Does substrate matter? Would I be able to keep a common pleco in the tank too? Also, I only have a siphon for smaller tanks. What do I use to get the water out and in for a big tank?
Thanks for any help! I really appreciate it.

shutterbug13
I'm pretty sure an arowana needs a much larger tank than a 200 gallon. Silver arowanas get around two and half feet long so you'll need something huge.

MaximumRide14
I'm pretty sure an arowana needs a much larger tank than a 200 gallon. Silver arowanas get around two and half feet long so you'll need something huge.
Oh. I read that 200 gallons was ok.

shutterbug13
Oh. I read that 200 gallons was ok.
I think that's probably the size tank a lot of people use for growing out arowanas but they ultimately will need a much larger tank.

Buganjimo
What kind of arowana? Asians can be kept in ‘smaller’ tanks (around 300) but silvers need massive tanks. I’d stick to asians not silvers. You’d definitely need a sump filter for this tank and a heater around 500-600watt heater. If I were you, I’d do a blackout tank with a bare bottom and no hardscape or decor. Look up king of diy on YouTube, he keeps asian arowanas.

shutterbug13
What kind of arowana? Asians can be kept in ‘smaller’ tanks (around 300) but silvers need massive tanks. I’d stick to asians not silvers. You’d definitely need a sump filter for this tank and a heater around 500-600watt heater. If I were you, I’d do a blackout tank with a bare bottom and no hardscape or decor. Look up king of diy on YouTube, he keeps asian arowanas.
Asian arowana are illegal in the United States.

Buganjimo
Ah. That makes sence that they aren’t as common. I’m in Canada I wouldn’t know lol

MaximumRide14

I believe that a pearl arowana is the one he wants.

chromedome52
The fish that is often sold as an "Asian" Arowana is actually from Australia and New Guinea, Scleropages jardini. True Asians, Scleropages formosus (now split into additional species) are just as illegal in Canada as they are in the US, it's an international treaty that bans them from being shipped.

Silver and Black Arowanas from South America are Genus Osteoglossum. I believe they can get longer than the Scleropages species. However, the largest of the family is the Arapaima, which gets over 10 feet in length. It is a breathtakingly beautiful fish, even at those sizes.

These fish are all prodigious jumpers, and a two footer can break through a 3/8" thick piece of glass while trying to jump.

MaximumRide14
The fish that is often sold as an "Asian" Arowana is actually from Australia and New Guinea, Scleropages jardini. True Asians, Scleropages formosus (now split into additional species) are just as illegal in Canada as they are in the US, it's an international treaty that bans them from being shipped.

Silver and Black Arowanas from South America are Genus Osteoglossum. I believe they can get longer than the Scleropages species. However, the largest of the family is the Arapaima, which gets over 10 feet in length. It is a breathtakingly beautiful fish, even at those sizes.

These fish are all prodigious jumpers, and a two footer can break through a 3/8" thick piece of glass while trying to jump.

Wow. But I’ve seen arowanas at the store before. How could that be if most are illegal?

david1978
Some are still legal.

AquaticJ
We have a 3 foot Silver Arowana at my store. I've personally seen a 4 footer before. You need much more than 200.

MaximumRide14

IMG_2407.jpg
Here is a picture of the one at the store. Can you Id what kind of arowana this is? He was only a couple inches long, just a juvenile. I guess I’m going to need a bigger tank though lol.

AquaticJ
Silver Arowana. How much are they charging? 50?

MaximumRide14
Silver Arowana. How much are they charging? 50?

Actually about 125

david1978
There one of those fish that everyone dreams of but really aren't practical to own.

MaximumRide14
There one of those fish that everyone dreams of but really aren't practical to own.

What size tank? How big would they grow?

david1978
They average 3 feet in length but can get 4 foot in length. They are a fast swimming carnivore so tank should be minimum 12 feet long and 8 feet wide.

MaximumRide14
They average 3 feet in length but can get 4 foot in length. They are a fast swimming carnivore so tank should be minimum 12 feet long and 8 feet wide.

Oh wow. That’s pretty big...

AquaticJ
We have a 8 inch one at my store for sale for $100. The 3 footer we have is just a display. I agree with David on those dimensions. We have to put a net over his pond at night or else he’ll jump.

AquaticJ
I would definitely not pay 125 unless it was like 10 inches. (Didn’t mean to double post)

fish time
Yikes arowanas seem scary, I recently saw a 2 feet arowana yesterday but wasent sure what species though, and the guy started feeding it and it started splashing like crazy...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Frank the Fish guy
Replies
Views
shiv234
Replies
Views
Jaxsco
Replies
Views