Argh, unwanted inhabitants! Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by ~Fanci~, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ~Fanci~

~Fanci~Valued MemberMember

I brought home a hornwart plant a few weeks ago and my sister noticed a very tiny red snail on it. I kind of forgot about it thinking it would maybe be eaten or just do its thing but on closer inspection today I have noticed I have 4 good sized snails (about the size of a smaller fingernail), as well- there are baby snails crawling all over the place! I am trying to get some of them out and into a 1 gallon tank as I don't want my tank crawling with these things.
    I have been on the internet trying to identify them, but no luck! They have a reddish/brownish/gold shell and when I was using my hand to scoop one off of the side of the tank today it squirted a bright blue liquid!
    Anyone know what kind they are and what to do with them? They seem to be multiplying like crazy...

2. bettafish2816

bettafish2816Fishlore VIPMember

if you could get a picture that would help to identify them.

snails DO multiply like crazy, a good way to keep them under control is to use a weight to put a piece of cucumber or zucchini in the tank overnight and then remove it in the morning because there should be plenty of them all over the veggies

3. OP
    OP
    ~Fanci~

Thanks for the response agabr123!
    I see a few other people suggested the weighted down cucumber slice so I am going to give that a try tonight and I'll report the results :) Know of any fish that eat snails...? I am actually going to be switching my tank to a 29 or 39 gallon in the next few weeks and am worried about this happening again in the new tank and I'll have room for some new fish, especially one that would help with this if anyone has any suggestions??
    Thanks

4. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17Well Known MemberMember

sounds like a ramhorn snail, i have gotton those on my plants too. if you are upgrading your tank then you could get a yoyo loach

5. bettafish2816

the only fish i know of for SURE that eat snails are puffers, but they don't make very good community fish. some bettas will depending on their temperament, but they also arent very good community fish unfortunately. now you could keep a betta or a dwarf puffer alone in a 10 gallon and transfer the snails to that tank, the betta may not eat them but the puffer definitely would

6. stanmanNew MemberMember

I think I read on here that you could put the cucumber inside a clean water bottle,then just discard the whole thing.

7. bettafish2816

yep that works too :)

8. OP
    OP
    ~Fanci~

Hi again, here are a few pics of the snails...anyone had these guys in there tank? ???
    The last picture is of the baited cucumber slice, being checked out by a few of the baby Mollies...

Attached Files:

9. rainman

rainmanWell Known MemberMember

Yes those are pond snails also known as pouch snails. Most consider them a nuisance. They can overpopulate your tank quickly.But i like to keep them and feed them to my fish.

10. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

And, thanks to rainman, now you can sex them! :)

11. OP
    OP
    ~Fanci~

Haha I'm not interested in getting that close...but I bet a loach will be ;)

Thanks for all of your help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice