Argh!!! Problems

1. titusxander Member Member

Okay so i was looking up lighting for the 40 gallon breeder that i am getting. It's 36"x18"x16". my problem is that every hood and light that i look at it is in two parts. problem is that the 40 gallon breeder doesn't have a center brace which the lighting and hood need. any suggestions before this drives me isane? :;soldier

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

You could run the tank open top and use a PC or T5 light strip (Coralife, Current, and other brands have available mounting legs to keep the fixture a few inches off the top of the tank).

3. mathas Well Known Member Member

If you go open-top as harpua2002 suggests, make sure the fixture you buy is designed for that. Some aren't sealed well against water vapor, and can corrode over time.

If you don't want to go open-top, you could visit your local Aqueon/All-Glass dealer and order part number 29040. It's a hinged glass top specifically designed for 40g breeder tanks. Or you can buy it online if you don't have any Aqueon dealers in your area. Once you have that, there's a wide array of 36" light fixtures available that would work.

4. titusxander Member Member

You guys are awesome. i think i might go with the hinged glass top if my LFS guy can't find anything for me. Maybe he can offer me a better deal than $109.99 on a 40 gallon breeder. Would the hinged glass lid break if i ever accidently slammed it or it dropped down really hard?