Are yoyo loaches too aggressive?

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all! I'm in the process of stocking my 60 gallon Southeast Asian themed tank. Right now it has 7 glass catfish, 7 harlequin rasboras, 2 SAEs, and 1 bamboo shrimp, and I'm going to add 3 Pearl Gouramies when I get the chance. I was wondering if yoyos would be too aggressive to put in this tank. I have heard and read that they are semi-aggressive and might scare the timid harlies, pearls, and glass catfish. I don't want to put anything too aggressive in my tank. If yoyos won't work, is there another type of botia that will work better? Thanks for the help!

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
any size yoyo will do fine just remember they are ich magnets and keep it at no more than 3

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most loaches are not aggressive but they are very active. This activity can spook slower more timid fish.
If you don't mind the snakey/wormy look Kuhlis would be perfect for your tank . They are truly bottom dwellers and a group would be cool.
Carol

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the help! I do love kuhlis, but I'm not sure if they eat snails. My tank is overrun with pest type snails, so a snail eater would be nice. My gravel isn't sharp, but I don't know if it would hurt the kuhlis' bellies. I do like the dwarf chains, but I think a little more wallet-friendly would be zebra loaches. Would zebras or yoyos spook any of the fish I'm planning on?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Emberdee said:
Thanks for all the help! I do love kuhlis, but I'm not sure if they eat snails. My tank is overrun with pest type snails, so a snail eater would be nice. My gravel isn't sharp, but I don't know if it would hurt the kuhlis' bellies. I do like the dwarf chains, but I think a little more wallet-friendly would be zebra loaches. Would zebras or yoyos spook any of the fish I'm planning on?
OOOPS didn't know you were looking for a snail eater Kuhlis won't eat them. Although they prefer sand I have had them on gravel and they did fine.
There are several loaches called zebra loaches(common name), if you get them be sure they are Botia striata. They are a bit smaller than yoyos and at four inches are cute as a button. https://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-striata I have had them in the past and simply adored them.
Yoyos are cool too just at six inches are a bit bigger. both display that typical loach behaviour.
Carol

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh, okay! Thanks for the info! I think I will try to find the smaller botia species, like zebra and polka-dot, because of size. If I can't find any of the others, I'll probably get the yoyos. I do love the patterning on them all, and would like to add a bottom dweller when the time comes.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Emberdee said:
I do like the dwarf chains, but I think a little more wallet-friendly would be zebra loaches.
LOL. Couldn't agree with you more. Dwarf chains are definitely pricey. I'm not sure how effective they are at keeping down the snail population also. My tank is still overrun by pest snails.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yo yos are very active and boisterous, as far as the pattern, it does fade some not as prominant as they get older, but they are a nice addition to a community tank

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hahaha... Yeah, plus, I'm not sure about mail-ordering a fish as they're quite rare. At liveaquaria, they're like $20 apiece. That's a bit too much for me... Thanks for the info, kloseo, that might make a difference in my stocking!

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I actually managed to get them for $15 each at my LFS, although I wish they were cheaper. I'm doing a slow stocking of the group so I don't go broke

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's neat, a good price too. Are you sure your LFS won't run out of them?

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah it was definitely a much better price. I'm sure they'll run out of them but since they get new stock so often I'm hoping it won't be long till they're in stock again.

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ahhh... Very cool! Good luck with your loaches!

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks. Have you decided on which kind to get? I'd love to see pictures after you get them

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I'm going to go with zebras, but I'll only get them when my LFS has them in stock. I might get yoyos, polka-dots, or another type of botia when my LFS has some, it really depends. I'm leaning towards something smaller like a zebra or a polka-dot, though.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good luck. I hope they're in stock soon.

p.s. I picked up the last dwarf loach from my LFS today

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! Good luck with your loaches!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads