Are you my mommy?

1. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

After returning the little survivor to his group, the little guy "junior" has been staying with one female in particular. I have even noticed as I approach them, she moves and puts herself in between me and the baby.

Is this his mom? He came from this group, so his parents are in it. There are 4 females and 1 male.

Am I reading too much into this behaviour, or is it possible that they recognize each other as being mother/baby?

Here is a pic:

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good afternoon,

Sounds feasible to me :) Please do not tell the little one that is not his Mom! lol :)

Ken

3. Heather12404 Member Member

Beautiful cories!!!

4. sanjin Well Known Member Member

I would have a hard time believing that she would really know that he's hers. I think it's more likely that she just recognizes him as being vulnerable and has more of a protective instinct than the others. Or, she's an attention hog. ;)

5. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Sanjin, that's more likely for sure, but who knows whats going on in that cute little head. lol

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

It might be, never know. If you can ask her I'm sure you would learn ton.

7. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Lol I'll get on that PIrahnaha.

Edit:
    Ok, I just had a nice little chat with mrs sterbai and she confirmed, she is indeed the mother of Junior. Senior sterbai had no comment. ;P

8. gourami88 Member Member

She may and she may not. If she was the only one who spawned then she may recognize the wee one as being her offspring. If nothing else she obviously has taken in upon herself to care for him so I think that counts as a mommy.

9. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Aww!

(isn't fun when we project human characteristics onto our fish? I think that's why we get such a kick out of them sometimes!)

10. OUTINFRONT Member Member

Probably just looking out for the little fella i notice my two original fish stick together and the two new ones stay together,so pretty sure they do have best friends.

11. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

can you come ask my fish a few questions for me? I have not been able to communicate with them as well as you can. :;laughing