Are you a sponge worshiper?

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
http:///sponge_filtration.html

HELLO,

I just wanted to share the above info with you guys and see what reactions it provokes. Basically, someone argues that based on "scientific controlled tests" Hydro sponge #5 had much better biological filtration that Aquaclear 70and even more dramatic better results against the "over rated" bio wheels.

Although the writer advocates for the use of sponge filters in combination with HOB or canisters he seems to firmly believe that sponge filters' biological filtration is better when compared to other filters.

So, what do you think, pure marketing or facts?
Take a look at the link and post what you think...

Cheers

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sponge filters are proven winners in many ways... I have at least one in every tank.

When purchasing filters, I much prefer the Hagen filters with the curved outlet, I think it promotes better water circulation...

Dennis

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
While I don't agree with everything he says ... he offers some decent info/advice in some areas and advocates many of the sound practices most veteran fishkeepers here do. But of course like everyone else ... he has his own opinions as well.

Quality sponge filters are excellent biological filters. Basically, that's their main function (some are decent larger particulate mechanical filters as well). Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hydro Sponge #5 were a better biological filter than the AC70 or Biowheel. Have you ever seen a Hydro #5 sponge filter in person, lol?. The thing is huge ... meaning it would hold the edge for sheer 'surface area' over the media in the AquaClear 70 or any Bio Wheel.

That said ... the 'tests' are an interesting read at best in that we know that all 3 filters are more than capable of performing biological duties rather well.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a rather nice sponge filter that I keep running in my main tank as extra filtration (and as a backup) which is currently in my fry tank (which now has more water than their original filter can now handle.).

It does a good job, and my fry seem to be addicted to picking bits off the sponges! (As long as their cycle remains, I won't look into ways of preventing them dong this!)

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your title made me think of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine was stockpiling a certain kind of sponge and had to decide if her boyfriends were "sponge worthy" or not.

I like sponges (not the kind in that Seinfeld episode). Since I have two AC filters, there are sponges in there but I also have sponges over all my filter intake tubes. The filters in the 5g are kind of like sponge filters but they're cartridges that snap in and have carbon above the sponge and are driven by an air pump.

I agree with a lot of what the author wrote.

-Lisa

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sponge filters were a no brainer for us... We're running probably 30 tanks in the fishroom on sponge filters alone. Most are bare bottom for easy cleaning, so the surface area for biological filtration is important for us.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So sponge filters work in tandem with other filters? As in I have a canister filter set up, and a sponge filter as well for added bio filter?
Yes, all filters will work in tandem with others. I run canisters on my big tanks, but anything under a 40gal I'd use sponge filters.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom