Are white cloud mountain minnows good schooling fish?

Level99Fishing

Alright so I'm planning to build 3m long shallow tank. As you can imagine, the tank footprint is going to be quite big. Now a 40 gallon breeder raises my monthly electricity bill by 50 dollars in the winter. I can only imagine a 3m long tank will send it through the roof. But lucky for me, white cloud mountain minnows can tolerate colder temperatures so could dial my heater down to 15 degrees Celsius if I get a big school of them.
But the question is do they school well? Anybody with personal experiences with these fish? Of course, I'm not expecting them to be as good of a schooler as rummynose tetras but do they generally give off that schooling look? If not would there be any other alternatives that would survive under 15 degrees Celsius?

qldmick

I think there loose schoolers, maybe even zebra/leopard danios or blue gouramis for cooler temps.

SeaMonkey06

I keep WCMM and in my opinion you can't go wrong! Mine school loosely, I have one who couldn't care less about being in the group, but the others swim closely together and give off that 'schooling' look. I definitely recommend getting White Clouds, but others may have some further suggestions

Level99Fishing

Do you think I'd be able to get them schooling better if I added a small turtle?

wateriswet

I would think the turtle might try to eat them and foul up the tank really quickly, but hopefully someone with more experience will chime in on that.

As far as your energy bill, have you considered getting a small heater to go in your tank? That way you could let your home get cooler without hurting your fish and it should be cheaper to run.

Try searching for videos of white clouds to get a better sense of their behavior. My impression is that they will school sometimes if in a big group in a big tank. I have a small group in a small tank and they never school for me, ever.

Latest threads

Top Bottom