Are water softeners freshwater aquarium safe?

PlantedCommunityTank132

Are water softeners aquarium safe?
Thanks

Prestoncichlids2029

Do you mean to lower the hardness of the water? If so I find GH to be irrelevant almost in the modern aquarium hobby. Fish are Bre and raised in a tank, so as long as your fish are sourced locally, the water is the same.

jtjgg

i can't find a definitive answer. some websites say water softeners add a tiny bit of salt NaCl into the water. another website says it only adds sodium Na.

my water softener only affects the inside plumbing and not the outside water hose, so I refill with the outside water hose.

kansas

Water softeners are part of a buildings plumbing, not a city's water system, the LFS probly doesn't have it.

Amandalorian

From what I've read it varies greatly depending on your water softener system and region. Water softeners remove good minerals like Ca and Mg and replace it with Na. Too much sodium can be detrimental for more sensitive aquatic pets. For the most part, if you can avoid the water softener you should. Some aquatic life can tolerate the the lower amounts, my fish and plants have done well for the most part but my axolotl is not tolerating it as well.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Ok. Thank you so much everyone.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
YellowGuppy
  • Question
Replies
Views
stephpartin
Replies
Views