Are Veiled Chameleon Tough To Care For?

1. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

I love looking at the veiled chameleon when I go in pet smart to get fish supplies. They are listed as advanced care level though. Are they hard to take care of? Are they a good first reptile? I don't have room for anymore tanks right now, but if I did ever decide to get a reptile that would probably be what I would want. I'm 37, so I'm an adult. I don't always trust the pet smart care ratings. They list hatchet fish as intermediate skill level, but they aren't any harder to take care of than serpae tetras (I have both). I'm guessing they get the intermediate rating though because they are jumpers and you probably can't trust a 5 year old to remember to put the lid back on after feeding the fish.

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't recommend them as a beginner reptile and they can be difficult to care for. They need special type of light and need lots of other equipment. Do you want me to list some beginner reptiles for you?

3. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

We have one. Cost over 500.00 to get everything she needed and she has to see her food and water moving to eat or drink so it takes time and patience.

4. OP
    OP
    N

No, I'm not getting a reptile anytime soon. Those are kind of cool though. I'll get a reptile someday when I'm a millionaire celebrity and have the guys on tanked build me a replica of the tank they put in Penn Jillette's home.:D

5. Kenny777

Oh okay just asking :D

6. OP
    OP
    N

So it is no different than buying everything new when starting a freshwater fish tank?

7. Kellye8498

Kind of, no. But it's obviously different stuff. (I know, duh right?!) like having a misting machine, branches, plants, rocks, climbing items, worms are around 16.00 a container for the large ones that my chameleon eats now because it's getting larger. Water has to be dripping constantly because they need to see it falling to know it's there and food has to be alive for the same reason. Cage was almost 200 for the right size enclosure, lights and a light fixture, etc. They also have to have high humidity and can't be in glass enclosures, only screened. It's a lot lol

Check out lllreptile (that is 3 L's then reptile) on YouTube. They have some really good videos and are an AMAZING reptile store in Vegas and Cali. I recommend them to everyone and, if you can't shop there, at least their videos. You can buy pretty much everything on their website though.

Temp and humidity are a big deal with chameleons. The only pet I have that is sightly harder to take care of is my axolotl.

8. Kenny777

Oooo I love LLL Reptiles I use to order from there great place :)

9. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Why can't they be kept in glass tanks? Looks like screens would let the humidity out.

10. Kenny777

You reminded me I need to do my daily check up on their website.

11. Kellye8498

Because it's hard to keep it ventilated properly and they are prone to respiratory infections so it makes them sick. Also because they are solitary animals and when they see their reflection they think it is another chameleon which leads to stress and, eventually, death.

We originally had ours in a 20 long and she started sitting with her mouth hanging open. It's the first sign of respiratory infection so I took her to the vet with me when I took my GSD for a shot and the vet told me she had the beginnings of an infection and told me to switch enclosures. After some research I learned she was correct. Bought new enclosure and haven't had a problem since.

00b8fcbd763adddcba9056ccd6c05d8f.jpg

You run a misting machine in the enclosure for a few hours a day several times per day to keep humidity up without making issues with bacterial infections and stress

12. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

How does the humidity stay in with them though?

13. Kellye8498

I absolutely love them. I go there a LOT to get chameleon stuff. I wish they carried earth worms for my axolotl but they just don't.

14. Kellye8498

It's just screen so it doesn't leave as quickly as you would expect. The mist makes droplets on the plants and decoration in the enclosure as well which keeps humidity up until the next misting session. The dripper for the water also helps with humidity. Water has to drip continuously so they can see it to know it's there and available for drinking. There is always some form of water moving in the enclosure.

15. Gamer

Gamer Well Known Member Member

I have only had a veiled as far as chameleons...but am told that next to pigmy's they may be the least demanding, that isn't to say they're not difficult. I'll post my cage, specs, routine and of course, her, shortly.

16. Kenny777

I love Jackson's, pantherd and pygmys they are super cool but I agree with @Gamer pygmys are less demanding and are smaller so you could do more IMO.