Are Veggies And Detritus Enough To Sustain A Mystery Snail?

Tsukkomu

I absolutely love my mystery snail. He is a wonderful addition to my 5 gallon Spec. I was not expecting to be so fascinated with him/her. It has been challenging adding him to my betta's environment.

I picked up HikarI Crab Cuisine. And my snail absolutely loves it. Feeding him is a challenge though. I'd say it's 50/50 whether or not my betta finds his pellets before he does. The first day I had him my betta ate so much his scales started to point out....he was not pineconing. Just extremely full. He was literally throwing up food and then swimming around to suck up what he'd spit out. By the next day he had passed whatever was in his stomach and returned to normal size. But since then I've been diligent. And haven't had a repeat of that situation.

Any trace of algae is disappearing as fast as it appears in my tank. And my snail absolutely adores zucchini. Is this enough to sustain him? I have ordered Fluval Sea Calcium to supplement the water for him...his shell was not in the best of shape when I acquired him. So I really want to provide the best environment and diet for him. I consider him a rescue....from the evil Petsmart. We don't have a Freshwater LFS where I live.

I'll try and supplement Crab Cuisine every now and then. But if he is perfectly capable of thriving on detritus, algae and zucchinI then I will supplement with the pellets less. I just don't want to overfeed my betta and cause any medical situation. I've gotten mixed information thus far on this topic.

I know I can remove the snail or the betta and feed them separately. But I don't want to unnecessarily stress either tank occupant more than I have to/need to.

Thank you.

Advertisement
Since they are primarily carnivorous they should be getting about 3/4 animal matter as their diet (and don't forget calcium!)

Advertisement
It's not the usual case for Mystery snails to do anything significant in algae control. As was said, they need the meat and don't really need any kind of vegetables. Shrimp pellets at least every other day and pieces of algae or pleco wafers given occasionally are all they need. Veggies and detritus are not enough for them. Mine gets a shrimp pellet nearly every day and he is getting enormous. It has even been my experience that a Mystery snail, after being given fresh veggies (especially broccoli), will then start munching on your plants so mine never gets the veggies any more.

A Nerite snail though is very much the opposite. They can survive on biofilm, detritus, and the occasional bit of algae they may find. They are great for algae control and really don't need any supplemental food of any kind. They even usually will avoid things like algae wafers.

If you are having trouble with the betta eating all the pellets, feed at night with the lights off to give the snail a better chance of getting the food.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views
SnailLVR
Replies
Views