• IDK - never used one before

Votes: 76 65.5%

• Total voters

Jakkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought a cheap clip on the filter one and with the help of a water change, my tank went from barely being able to see in it to crystal clear in two weeks. So i say yes

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have the same issue in my 20 gallons. Hazy water no matter how clean it is. I have not used a UV sterilizer partly because I love my hornwort. In my 5.5 gallons, the water is crystal clear, even if I don't change the water for two weeks straight. I think the secret is the Moss balls and the bladder snails in the 5.5 gallons. That is the only difference between the two tanks.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Depends on the objective you have for getting one. Works wonderfully for forms of free floating algae and things like that, but less so for something like treating ich.

juniperlea

Valued Member
Reaction score
So, what are your thoughts on UV Sterilizers? Are they worth the cost?

I've used them in the past but don't on my current reef setup.
Nah.... they're too expensive. I'm knew to this hobby and have M.T.S. I panicked when I saw bacteria bloom for the first time. So, I immediately bought a UV sterilizer, not understanding that they kill the good guys too. Last week, I gutted a tank with a massive bladder snail infestation. I suspected the UV sterilizer also housed the evil b******s and in a moment of insanity, I put the sterilizer in a corner on the kitchen floor, hoping the snails would creep out. Ooops, later, while doing a water change for my kitchen tank, I slipped and fell right onto the sterilizer! It REALLY hurt. Thus, they do more harm than good!!!!!!

Cale24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't believe they're absolutely necessary if one maintains a stable, healthy aquarium and adheres to quarantine + hospital tank/s and practices as needed. They'll sort out algae blooms no problem, and generally are just an added layer of defense against unwanted 'badness' in a system. A decent quality steriliser will have good dwell time in UV light, and with suitable wattage can also destroy some parasites. They don't harm beneficial bacteria in filter systems.
I have multiple tanks, mostly smaller sizes, and I got a 9W Green Killing Machine that I use only occasionally if I see anything looking suspect in my tanks. The thing that made me pull the trigger and get one was reading of Diana Walstad's use and praise of them after a fish 'TB' outbreak in her rainbow tanks. It was the only thing that stopped the deaths, short of total system sterilisation. Turns out I likely had columnaris as I'd been quickly losing fish with no external symptoms.

In a large community tank or sump system I'd probably invest in a decent inline steriliser.

juniperlea

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't believe they're absolutely necessary if one maintains a stable, healthy aquarium and adheres to quarantine + hospital tank/s and practices as needed. They'll sort out algae blooms no problem, and generally are just an added layer of defense against unwanted 'badness' in a system. A decent quality steriliser will have good dwell time in UV light, and with suitable wattage can also destroy some parasites. They don't harm beneficial bacteria in filter systems.
I have multiple tanks, mostly smaller sizes, and I got a 9W Green Killing Machine that I use only occasionally if I see anything looking suspect in my tanks. The thing that made me pull the trigger and get one was reading of Diana Walstad's use and praise of them after a fish 'TB' outbreak in her rainbow tanks. It was the only thing that stopped the deaths, short of total system sterilisation. Turns out I likely had columnaris as I'd been quickly losing fish with no external symptoms.

In a large community tank or sump system I'd probably invest in a decent inline steriliser.
I didn't know that they didn't kill the BB in the filter system. That's good to know. I have huge bacteria bloom in my 75g and I want to get out the 24 GKM, but as the tank is in the cycling process, I think I'll just wait it out. I'm still just a bit resentful towards the GKM for making me fall on top of it!!! I'm also afraid of snails/eggs inside it, which is why I gutted the 75g and am starting from scratch.

Cale24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I didn't know that they didn't kill the BB in the filter system. That's good to know. I have huge bacteria bloom in my 75g and I want to get out the 24 GKM, but as the tank is in the cycling process, I think I'll just wait it out. I'm still just a bit resentful towards the GKM for making me fall on top of it!!! I'm also afraid of snails/eggs inside it, which is why I gutted the 75g and am starting from scratch.
Yeah, the 24W version will sort that out very quickly. The 9W would do the same, just take a bit longer. I only use mine now and then so I expect the bulb will last a very long time.
And I'd agree that its best to just let your 75g cycle before anything. Keep the Kh and Gh above 4, try get good aeration in the water and keep testing NH3/4, No2 and No3.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The best UV filters will have a slower flow. The ones that are integrated into the SunSun filters for ex have too much of flow and too low of wattage to do anything really useful. Maybe they would help with tiny green algae water spores, but not for ich and other larger nasties. I'm not sure how low the flow rate needs to be to be effective, I believe it depends on the wattage of the UV light anyway, higher wattage, less need for the nasties to stay in the UV chamber to be destroyed, but higher wattage means more heat and more degradation of equipment.

If I get a UV filter, I won't be using it all the time. I'd share it between my tanks a few hours a day at most and in QT when I have it set up. I don't think these things are made to be used continuously.

juniperlea

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the 24W version will sort that out very quickly. The 9W would do the same, just take a bit longer. I only use mine now and then so I expect the bulb will last a very long time.
And I'd agree that its best to just let your 75g cycle before anything. Keep the Kh and Gh above 4, try get good aeration in the water and keep testing NH3/4, No2 and No3.
I have bacteria bloom right now, but am leaving it alone as it cycles. I have the API master test kit and check the water daily, doing small changes and adding Prime as well as API Quick Start or TSS. I've read about the Kh, Gh, but don't have a test for that. I'm so ashamed, though, because I've never heard of the NH3/4, No2 and No3. Help! Is there a master test kit for those things?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom