are undergravel filters worth buying ?? 55 Gallon Tank 

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
what do you guys think ?? i have one in my 55 gallon tank and one in my 1 galon tank, i have healthy community and healthy shrimp lol but ive heard of disasters when the powr goes out

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally, I don't like UGF's. Gunk can build up under the plate where you can't see it.
The only way to clean under it is to tear apart the tank.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lucy hit it on the nail head!!!

They can work but not recommended especially if you have deep gravel for plants. You would have to be sure you clean the gravel extra as they pull the stuff into the gravel.

Undergravel Filter always start out looking good, but as time progresses all the large gunk gets pulled into the gravel.

The theroy is that your gravel becomes the filter media, and filters need to be cleaned.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I personally don't like them for the reasons stated above. Also they can develope dead zones where gasses toxic to fish can build up.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think undergravel was the OLD way of filtering. With some of these new power HOB filters and cannisters, nobody uses them much anymore unless they've had their setup established for quite some time.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
blkdeath75 said:
I think undergravel was the OLD way of filtering. With some of these new power HOB filters and cannisters, nobody uses them much anymore unless they've had their setup established for quite some time.
+2...they are huge waste trappers and almost impossible to get all the goo out from under them, unless you tear the tank apart...not to mention, they don't clean very well or agitate the water like canisters and hob's do

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They're good for giving to people when you sell them a fish tank on craigslist.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jaysee said:

They're also great for holding testing tubes on top of bird cages when pulling water samples for parameter testing .

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jaysee said:
bolivianbaby said:
They're also great for holding testing tubes on top of bird cages when pulling water samples for parameter testing .
So they have their uses, then? I'll go pick one up right away.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey lets don't be too mean to the undergravel filters!! They do work, but not best with thick media/gravel/sand. With a decorative tank and artificial plants or plants in pots,they are fine. They are really not old technology, they are the same tech that we are using in boxes and canisters...just with certain limitations! They weren't designed for use with sand and probably not for all the new planting media.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok i get it i get it
ouch my pride
i got a cannister filter to help

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
izzyfishfarmer said:
ok i get it i get it
ouch my pride
i got a cannister filter to help
Oops, sorry Izzy. I wasn't wanting you to feel like we were picking on you and your question.

I do get them occasionally with Craigslist tanks and my post above is the only use I've found for them. HOB's are MUCH easier for me. I haven't upgraded into canister filters, so the truth is, you're a step ahead of me in that regard

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
na i get it worse in the gym lol you guys needn't i don't offend easly lol all in good fun

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOLOL...but to answer your question...if you don't have one, don't get one!!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TedsTank said:
LOLOL...but to answer your question...if you don't have one, don't get one!!
Exactly, if you have one currently and all is well I'd say if it ain't, dot fix it. But I wouldn't recommended anyone go and buy an under gravel filter.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well I'm now runnin a HOB and i don't worry so much about my lil guys so much

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have one, don't get one unless it's for free. Non stop cleaning issues when I had it in my 29 gallon.

I moved it to my 40 gallon haven't had any real problems, but I also have a duel whisper 60 top filter on that tank, lots of scavengers and I'm pretty good with vacuuming the gravel on a ragular basis.

rezis

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 2 under gravel filters running with plants.

Cleaning the filter gunk under it....I'm forced to do in phases.

1. take some water out into a bucket. Then put fish in it.

Then gotta go into the tank, and dig/separate the gravel around the plants because the plant roots grow through the plate cracks/slots.

I placed my plants on top of the plates. So taking out the plate and cleaning gunk it is done with out moving the plants. The gunk smells good too.

3. gotta take off the plastic cover around the air tubing to scrub the insides where algae grows.

Then repeat 1-3 for the second plate.

During this time..I'm always reminding myself not to forget to actually do a water change.

4. With a second bucket I then do a water change.

5. Wait a few days, perform water tests and hope doing this water change doesn't start a mini-cycle.

Oh yeah...and when the water change is done, the tank gets really cloudy with all the debris flying around. So I wait 10-15 minutes for the water to settle then put the fish back in.

Ionno, I'm really new to this hobby, maybe others have an easier time lol.

===================

From what I read with a HOB and Canister filter... you just open it, replace or clean the filter pad, replace carbon if used, siphon water change, and you're done.

Alasse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I still use UGF in some tanks, i like em and don't find them difficult to maintain. They require maintenance same as any other filter.

To clean under the plates, i definitely don't pull the tank down, i just use some airline tubing and put it down the uplift tube and syphon out the mulm. easy.

The only thing is you can't use small sized substrate, like sand, as it blocks up the plates. I've used them in planted tanks with gravel approx 2-3 inches deep.

I have one in this tank under the stones

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads