Are Undergravel Filters Better Then Power Filters

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,881
Reaction score
3,486
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
adicted to fish said:
does anyone know
They both do what you want, lots of people hate under gravel filters, but they work. I personally would go with the power filter
 

oldsalt777

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,427
Reaction score
950
Location
Colorado
Experience
More than 10 years
adicted to fish said:
does anyone know
Hello addict...

Undergravel filters aren't used much anymore. The other mechanical filters available are more efficient. The old models that cover the bottom of the tank with the substrate on top, are easily clogged with fish and plant waste material. A plugged filter system will cause serious water chemistry problems. I wouldn't use one, even it was available. The best tank water filtering system is the dual sponge type that's run by an air pump. This system is inexpensive and efficient. As with any filtering system, you must commit to an aggressive water change routine and stick to it. I use sponge filters and every week, I remove and replace at least half the tank water. Do this religiously and you'll have no tank problems.

Old
 

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,881
Reaction score
3,486
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
The amount of water you change each week has to do with how your tank is stocked
 

oldsalt777

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,427
Reaction score
950
Location
Colorado
Experience
More than 10 years
AJE said:
The amount of water you change each week has to do with how your tank is stocked
Hello...

Even if you had one small fish in a large tank, you'd still need to change most of the water weekly, if you wanted to maintain the best water chemistry for that fish. The minerals in water that's constantly running through a filtering system are changed by the hour. The longer the same water stays in a tank, the more it changes chemically. Nitrogen in the air drives off oxygen in the water. The nitrogen added by the fish waste and using fertilizers for aquarium plants also drives off oxygen. So, you need to remove and replace most of the tank water every week to replenish minerals and oxygen.

Old
 

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,881
Reaction score
3,486
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
I didn’t say you don’t have to do water changes, you just don’t have to do large water changes depending on your stock. I some cases it might be harmful to the inhabitants to do large water changes
oldsalt777 said:
Hello...

Even if you had one small fish in a large tank, you'd still need to change most of the water weekly, if you wanted to maintain the best water chemistry for that fish. The minerals in water that's constantly running through a filtering system are changed by the hour. The longer the same water stays in a tank, the more it changes chemically. Nitrogen in the air drives off oxygen in the water. The nitrogen added by the fish waste and using fertilizers for aquarium plants also drives off oxygen. So, you need to remove and replace most of the tank water every week to replenish minerals and oxygen.

Old
 

oldsalt777

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,427
Reaction score
950
Location
Colorado
Experience
More than 10 years
AJE said:
I didn’t say you don’t have to do water changes, you just don’t have to do large water changes depending on your stock. I some cases it might be harmful to the inhabitants to do large water changes
Interesting...

Of course, if your fish were used to small water changes once a month, a large water change would prove stressful, even fatal because of the drastic change in the water chemistry. However, if you changed a little more water and a little more often, your fish wouldn't notice the gradual change in the water. You'd notice how much more active and colorful your fish were. I've been in the hobby quite a few years and never once heard of fish dying from too much clean water.

Old
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
252
Guests online
3,046
Total visitors
3,298

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom