Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Are Undergravel Filters Better Then Power Filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by adicted to fish, Apr 17, 2019.

1. adicted to fishValued MemberMember

does anyone know

2. AJEFishlore VIPMember

They both do what you want, lots of people hate under gravel filters, but they work. I personally would go with the power filter

3. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello addict...

Undergravel filters aren't used much anymore. The other mechanical filters available are more efficient. The old models that cover the bottom of the tank with the substrate on top, are easily clogged with fish and plant waste material. A plugged filter system will cause serious water chemistry problems. I wouldn't use one, even it was available. The best tank water filtering system is the dual sponge type that's run by an air pump. This system is inexpensive and efficient. As with any filtering system, you must commit to an aggressive water change routine and stick to it. I use sponge filters and every week, I remove and replace at least half the tank water. Do this religiously and you'll have no tank problems.

Old

4. AJEFishlore VIPMember

The amount of water you change each week has to do with how your tank is stocked

5. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello...

Even if you had one small fish in a large tank, you'd still need to change most of the water weekly, if you wanted to maintain the best water chemistry for that fish. The minerals in water that's constantly running through a filtering system are changed by the hour. The longer the same water stays in a tank, the more it changes chemically. Nitrogen in the air drives off oxygen in the water. The nitrogen added by the fish waste and using fertilizers for aquarium plants also drives off oxygen. So, you need to remove and replace most of the tank water every week to replenish minerals and oxygen.

Old

6. AJEFishlore VIPMember

I didn’t say you don’t have to do water changes, you just don’t have to do large water changes depending on your stock. I some cases it might be harmful to the inhabitants to do large water changes

7. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Interesting...

Of course, if your fish were used to small water changes once a month, a large water change would prove stressful, even fatal because of the drastic change in the water chemistry. However, if you changed a little more water and a little more often, your fish wouldn't notice the gradual change in the water. You'd notice how much more active and colorful your fish were. I've been in the hobby quite a few years and never once heard of fish dying from too much clean water.

Old