Are two SunSun 304b's enough for a 125 gallon?

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd been planning a 75 gallon tank for a while but I'm contemplating doing 125 instead and I'm trying to build out what I'd want and figure out a budget.

These SunSun filters seem well liked with some acceptable caveats. But would two of these be enough filtration for a 125 gallon? They rate these filters for 525gph but I'm guessing that's way overstated and I can't find any info on actual flow rates so it's hard to judge. A pair of these would certainly be a lot more budget friendly than a pair of Fluval FX4's or something!

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have experience with those filters but I tend to be conservative in general with actual flow rates and don't assume more than about 60% of what manufacturers claim.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FX series of Fluval canisters are on sale at PetSmart, though it's an in-store sale. Online price probably doesn't reflect the store sale price.

Download the PetSmart app and play the in app game to earn 25% off coupons.

FX4 = $150 & FX6 = $187.50

Or...

The Polar Aurora brand on Amazon (525gph) is a re-branded SunSun 704b.

Or.....

Also, dont underestimate the power of traditional sponge filters. A pair of double stacked sponge filters plus a pair of Aquaclear 110 would offer more than enough filtration for a 125g in my opinion.

You can easily stack a second foam sponge block on top of the first and still have room for additional media if your choosing in the AC110.

I like the ATI brand of sponge filters from the Ken's Fish website, though Jehmco online offers them as well. Their "pro" models have coarse foam will traditional models have fine foam. Ken's has been good prices on Aquatop sponge filters also. Another choice is Aquarium Co-Op's house brand of sponge filters. They are all made from coarse foam.

Dual sponge filters + dual AC's would make cleaning your filters a ton easier versus having to service dual canister filters.

If you go the route of canister filters , consider filling the majority of trays with progressively denser layers of foam sponge. I've used Aquaneat brand of 2" thick layers of 20ppi and 30ppi foam sheets from Amazon.

New Threads