Are two powerheads better than one?!

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a grip on this heretofore never heard of, before (in my newbie world), thing called gallons per hour. I understand RPM, and know that I get very nervous when my rpms approach 4k. But, I'm an old lady who has always driven a manual transmission! I have good filtration in the 75 gallon now, I hope. But, not too long ago, I heard about these things called powerheads and how much the fish liked them. So, I bought a Hydor 1050-1150 and goodness me, the Harlequin Rasboras and even female bettas were taking joyous risks, diving into the stream! So, I bought another one for the other end of the tank. Sometimes, I run both, but is that a good thing? Sometimes, just one. Sometimes, I change the direction of the flow. Am I overdoing it? And, do powerheads improve filtration, or make it worse?

Scottnbrittany85

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A powerhead isn't a filter unless it is pulling water through some form of media, by itself it's just circulating water and not filtering. In this photo you can see the powerhead at the top is attached to a water bottle which is stuffed with filter material and has been modified to filter partials and give more surface for benifical bacteria to grow. I'm sure there are prettier ways to do it. Back to your question. If you have another type of filter in your tank the powerhead will assist in circulating the water so that the other filter isn't processing the same water in a loop and in theory make it slightly more efficient

Sorry I forgot to post pic
20191021_193138.jpg

OP
juniperlea

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Scottnbrittany85 said:
Sorry I forgot to post pic
20191021_193138.jpg
That's what I was hoping..... that the powerheads would be helping out the filter. I have an HOB with a powerhead just incidentally placed about 8 inches away. So, I guess that's good. Also, as an experiment, I made one of those 'invisible' internal filters out of a large piece of decoration using a 40 gallon air pump. At that time, I didn't understand a great deal about the difference between the air pump and powerhead. Doh! The fake filter is getting nice and gunky, so I'm pleased, but it sits by the HOB, and the powerhead, so I'll move it to the other end of the tank, by the lonely 2nd powerhead, so maybe that'll help. I'm quite proud of my fake filter!! Lol!!! Thanks very much for responding. I'm feeling a lot more confident now.

Scottnbrittany85

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
juniperlea said:
That's what I was hoping..... that the powerheads would be helping out the filter. I have an HOB with a powerhead just incidentally placed about 8 inches away. So, I guess that's good. Also, as an experiment, I made one of those 'invisible' internal filters out of a large piece of decoration using a 40 gallon air pump. At that time, I didn't understand a great deal about the difference between the air pump and powerhead. Doh! The fake filter is getting nice and gunky, so I'm pleased, but it sits by the HOB, and the powerhead, so I'll move it to the other end of the tank, by the lonely 2nd powerhead, so maybe that'll help. I'm quite proud of my fake filter!! Lol!!! Thanks very much for responding. I'm feeling a lot more confident now.
Your welcome, as far as the two powerheads thing goes I'd say if you like it and the fish are happy then all is well. I might turn one off at night time so the water isn't so turbulent while they try and sleep

OP
juniperlea

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Scottnbrittany85 said:
Your welcome, as far as the two powerheads thing goes I'd say if you like it and the fish are happy then all is well. I might turn one off at night time so the water isn't so turbulent while they try and sleep
Thanks. I'll do that...... it makes sense. Everyone needs a break from constant turbulence/turmoil in their lives.... I know I do !!!! :happy:

New Threads