are this list of fish good together?

1. LadyBug82 Member Member

OK I'm getting the 55g tank so I'm thinking on getting these fish and wanted to know if they r good together not sure on the amount tho I'm still figuring that out so i wont have a overcrowded tank.

6 black spotted blue platys
    15 moscow guppies
    6 white clouds
    5 tequila sunrise delta guppies
    5 turquoise guppies
    5 marigold variatus
    2 silver Mollies
    3 sunburst platys

is 47 fish to much?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Hahahaha, those 40 livebearers will make 400 in no time :) That's just way too many livebearers in one tank. Is 47 small fish too many for a 55 gallon? no not at all, but they need to be chosen so that they occupy different regions of the tank......and so that they won't overpopulate the tank.

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I was going to say the same thing but by the time I got it typed out the post had moved to its own thread...and I was confused...

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

It sounds like you would be overwhelmed in no time unless you made sure they were all the same sex. 47 might be a twee to much maybe 35-40?:rolleyes:

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

That's a full on breeding project! are you feeding some large fish? Trying to sell them?

6. LadyBug82 Member Member

well they will be all males and i was thinking of getting 4 big fish and not get 15 moscow guppies just 5 then.

7. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I have kept 6 male guppies together and had success, many, many other members have had agression issues when keeping all males.

8. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Angels might enjoy eating fry :D

9. fighter55 Member Member

With that much fry, you could all of your fish twice! Unless you have a plan for all that fry, I would advise against getting that many livebearers. And, the Mollies may crossbreed with the guppies too. If you had maybe angels or cichlids maybe that fry could come in handy. Also, if you sold the fry you wouldn't get much money for them, or the fish store wouldn't buy them. And keeping all males won't solve your problem. There will definitely be aggression, and out of 47 fish, I think at least ten will be female.

10. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

The likelihood of the guppies crossing with the mollies is extremely low. Especially if they have their own species to breed with, they much prefer to stick with the same species.

11. fighter55 Member Member

I see your point, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

12. LadyBug82 Member Member

ok thank u im looking for colorful fishes and i thought of those but i ithink im going to get 6 moscow guppies tho there pretty. i just have to think of others now.

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Best not to do all livebearers :) there are some cool tetras you can look for.

14. LadyBug82 Member Member

i was thinking of ciclids but thought there to hard to care for or rams.

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would choose a school of tetras, a school of barbs, a school of corys, a group of platies, a couple of angelfish and a pleco.

16. fighter55 Member Member

With barbs make sure to go with Cherry barbs. Tigers can be really nippy, which is not good with an Angel

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, I wouldn't go with tiger barbs, but there are many suitable species besides cherry barbs.

18. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

It depends on the ram. GBRs can be quite sensitive, but bolivians are pretty hardy. You could also do another type of apisto, such as a cockatoo cichlid.

Here is a example stocking :

2 angels
    A pair of bolivian rams or other apisto
    12 cherry barbs
    4 platies
    8 albino cories

I just went with the cherry barbs since thy where allready suggested, but you could switch them out for harliquin rasboras or a non nippy tetra. The albino cories where just a suggestion for a bottom feeder there are other bottom dwellers that would work.

19. fighter55 Member Member

Gold Barbs are also a good choice as they get to the same size as Cherry Barbs and have the same temperament.

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Only the males are the same size as cherry barbs - the females grow 3-4x larger. Gold barbs have a tiny chip on their shoulder that the cherry barbs don't have. They are good for the most part, but act up every so often. For some reason mine just couldn't resist nipping at the dojo loaches - the only fish to which they gave any trouble. Dojos happen to be one of my favorite fish so I pulled the barbs out of that tank.

Gold barbs are infinitely better schoolers than cherry barbs. They will shoal AND school, whereas the cherry barbs just shoal. Gold barbs actively move about the tank as a group - some of the best schooling fish I have.

I agree that gold barbs are a good choice - but they are very different than cherry barbs.