Are They Worth $39.99?

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't own discus but they don't seem to be in too bad of shape. Do you have a large tank to care for them?

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Eirelav_mcgoo said:
Saw two discus at my local fish shop. They looked so sad and pitiful. Are they worth saving for $40 a piece?
It really depends on what type they are, if you can find out the type we might be able to know if they are work it.

OP
Eirelav_mcgoo

Eirelav_mcgoo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NC122606 said:
It really depends on what type they are, if you can find out the type we might be able to know if they are work it.
Yes, gotta love cell phones and fat fingers. I have fixed the title ✌ I did ask but they couldn't give me any more info other than them being discus.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
NC122606 said:
Hey, nikm128 can you ID this Discus?
Unfortunately I can't put my finger on it. Definitely a hybrid of 2-3 fish there.
What I can say though, is that they're definitely worth it, they might not look as good but you'd be paying 1/2-1/3 the cost you would directly from a breeder. Do you have a setup that can support them?

OP
Eirelav_mcgoo

Eirelav_mcgoo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was thinking about it. I have a 55 gallon community but have lost some fish to the cats, trying to convince the bf we should get a couple more larger peaceful fish but after reading up on their parameters I think my tank is not suited. They're absolutely beautiful fish though and I'd love to see what they would look like in better conditions.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah, even just the high temperature they need rules out a pretty massive number of fish to go with them. Other than that they aren't too different in needs depending on what you want from them as adults.
In a 55 you could probably do a few Angels though, they're really only aggressive within their species in my experience.

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shop bought discus are risky at best, and if they’re looking sorry for themselves I’d stay clear of them. Those two really need pristine water and a group. Anything less and your chances of saving them probably aren’t great, imo.

RobM

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look stunted to me. You can tell by the ratio of eye size compared to the rest of the head. I would pass and try to find better stock.
discuseye.jpg

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom