Are They Worth $39.99?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Eirelav_mcgoo, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Eirelav_mcgoo

Eirelav_mcgooValued MemberMember

Saw two discus at my local fish shop. They looked so sad and pitiful. Are they worth saving for $40 a piece?

Attached Files:

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I don't own discus but they don't seem to be in too bad of shape. Do you have a large tank to care for them?

3. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

It really depends on what type they are, if you can find out the type we might be able to know if they are work it.

4. OP
    OP
    Eirelav_mcgoo

Yes, gotta love cell phones and fat fingers. I have fixed the title ✌ I did ask but they couldn't give me any more info other than them being discus.

5. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Hey, @nikm128 can you ID this Discus?

6. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Unfortunately I can't put my finger on it. Definitely a hybrid of 2-3 fish there.
    What I can say though, is that they're definitely worth it, they might not look as good but you'd be paying 1/2-1/3 the cost you would directly from a breeder. Do you have a setup that can support them?

7. OP
    OP
    Eirelav_mcgoo

I was thinking about it. I have a 55g community but have lost some fish to the cats, trying to convince the bf we should get a couple more larger peaceful fish but after reading up on their parameters i think my tank is not suited. They're absolutely beautiful fish though and I'd love to see what they would look like in better conditions.

8. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Yeah, even just the high temperature they need rules out a pretty massive number of fish to go with them. Other than that they aren't too different in needs depending on what you want from them as adults.
    In a 55 you could probably do a few Angels though, they're really only aggressive within their species in my experience.

9. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Shop bought discus are risky at best, and if they’re looking sorry for themselves I’d stay clear of them. Those two really need pristine water and a group. Anything less and your chances of saving them probably aren’t great, imo.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  10. OP
    OP
    Eirelav_mcgoo

Thanks for the tips everyone.

11. RobM

RobMValued MemberMember

They look stunted to me. You can tell by the ratio of eye size compared to the rest of the head. I would pass and try to find better stock. discuseye.jpg