Are They Worms? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by CraniumRex, Apr 12, 2018.

1. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

I found two of these at the bottom of my 29 g QT tank tonight. Having looked at scores of worm photos (and some things I can’t un-see) I don’t know what they are.

Just did a 30% water change and plucked them out. They look quite flat, like a tapeworm, but they are at most ½ inch long. I’ve set them aside. They don’t appear to be moving. There was some normal poop I cleaned out but not a lot.

Both fish (2x female Bolivian rams) seem okay but maybe not the same as I’m used to. Only had them 2 weeks but they were both at the front of the tank looking like they were doing the “feed me now” dance but I didn’t see either of them eat. They aren’t futzing through the sand like usual. One seems stressed after the PWC - dark colour bars but fins are not clamped. Params 0 0 5 after PWC temp 75 deg.

Can anyone tell me what those white things are and what I should do about them? 30FD03D2-B0B9-4CA6-8EA3-30EAD4A90033.jpeg BF2A7266-5215-4A05-B3EB-904FCB68261C.jpeg

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

are they moveing?

3. OP
    OP
    CraniumRex

@CanadianFishFan thanks for replying.

They don’t appear to be moving at all. I took them out with my aquascaping tweezers and put them in a plastic container and they didn’t move at all.

Edited to add: The water in the container dried up while I was at work - for a moment I thought they might be an elastic (I have a few holding the prefilter on the intake) but they are accounted for.

What is left has shrunk down in size (like cooked pasta that sort of shrinks) leaving me sure they aren’t an inert object like plastic or anything but something organic but impossible to identify them.

There don’t appear to be any more.

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

A fish poop maybe? Also if it is pasta, lol! Who knows?

5. OP
    OP
    CraniumRex

I’m probably worrying over nothing but was odd to see it. Thanks for answering!

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I keep an eye on it. Could be worn or a parasite that your fish might have.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice