Are They Playing?

1. Georgia493

Georgia493 New Member Member

So I am completely new to the world of aquariums and am just looking for some advice :)

I have a 54L tank with a variety of plants and currently only have 4 Cory’s inside. I’ve noticed that they like going to the bottom corner of the tank where the current from the filter has moved the sand, they then swim up against the current right to the top before stopping and letting it push them back down to the bottom.

They all do it together or almost look like they are taking turns; they’re all eating well, swim together as a group and scavenge through the sand like there’s no tomorrow. They’ll do it for a few minutes before swimming off to the other side of the tank and I’m just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks in advance

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

Yep it’s totally normal my Cory’s also do that. There so entertaining! Lol

3. OP
    OP
    Georgia493

Didn’t think there was anything wrong, figured if nothing else then I probably got stuck with the weird ones :)

4. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

In short, yes.

Corys love swimming in a strong current.

5. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Sounds like normal behavior. Two more corydoras may be ideal, by the way :)

6. OP
    OP
    Georgia493

I’m planning on getting maybe 2 or 3 more, but I’m following the shops advice on keeping numbers small at the start and building them up :)

7. Adriifu

Awesome. Make sure they're all the same species as well. Here's an article on the nitrogen cycle just in case you need it: https://www.liveaquaria.com/article/74/?aid=74 Your profile claims that you aren't familiar with it, which concerns me. It's very important to know and understand for the health of your fish. In order to make sure your water parameters are good, an API Master Test Kit is always useful. Chewy.com has the cheapest. Good luck! Feel free to ask us any questions and welcome to the community :)

8. OP
    OP
    Georgia493

I wouldn’t worry too much :) my mum has had fish for years and is helping me learn, and I’ve been using Interpet testing kits as well as having taken a sample of water to the shop.

I understand the basis of the nitrogen cycle and it’s importance just couldn’t recite it for you :)

9. Adriifu

That's awesome :) As long as your tank is cycled and you get some more corydoras, everything seems good.