Are they getting light?

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,613
I have some floating plants in an airline tube fence. They’re pretty much right up against my lid. My lid has an LED bar on it. Do you think the plants are getting light? Second and third pic is with the lid slightly lifted. Otherwise the plants are almost against the lid and a few of them are against the LED light
 

Attachments

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,207
Looks packed for sure. What type of plants do you have below? Anubias and sword does not need as much. But I personally have to cull floating plants every week to keep them from shading out plants below. The tanks I'm talking about are much deeper though and your plants are closer to the light source. Could the floating plants go all around the perimeter instead of right in the middle?

How do the plants below look? I'll start to see the plants suffering light deprivation in a week or so if I forget to cull floaters.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,613
angelcraze said:
Looks packed for sure. What type of plants do you have below? Anubias and sword does not need as much. But I personally have to cull floating plants every week to keep them from shading out plants below. The tanks in talking about are much deeper though and your plants are closer to the light source. Could the floating plants go all around the perimeter instead of right in the middle?

How do the plants below look? I'll start to see the plants suffering light deprivation in a week or so if I forget to cull floaters.
The plants I have below are anubius and swords, the sword being right below the floating plant nest. I have a temple plant on the opposite side of the tank. The light I have is a kit light, so I don’t plan on having any high-light plants.

I should have specified my question, I’m not sure if all the floating plants have light. When the light goes to the tank it disperses, but the floating plants are against the lid so I don’t know if all of them get light
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,207
Oh I see! Well if they look good, they are getting enough light. Floating plants have the greatest access to lighting. The light will permeate the leaves a certain amount for plants that are more shaded.

What is temple plant? I never found that out! Does the temple plant have lighting?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,613
angelcraze said:
Oh I see! Well if they look good, they are getting enough light. Floating plants have the greatest access to lighting. The light will permeate the leaves a certain amount for plants that are more shaded.

What is temple plant? I never found that out! Does the temple plant have lighting?
It’s a narrow-leaf temple plant. It’s away from the floating plants completely so I’m pretty sure it’s getting enough light. I’m not sure if it will make it since it wasn’t very healthy when I bought it, but the price was good so I figured it was worth a shot. It’s lost a lot of leaves since it came from a lower pH, but I’m hoping it’ll grow back
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,085
Crimson_687 said:
It’s a narrow-leaf temple plant. It’s away from the floating plants completely so I’m pretty sure it’s getting enough light. I’m not sure if it will make it since it wasn’t very healthy when I bought it, but the price was good so I figured it was worth a shot. It’s lost a lot of leaves since it came from a lower pH, but I’m hoping it’ll grow back
Pro-tip: when naming plants on the forum use the scientific name if possible. Most people won't know what narrow-leaf temple plant is, but Hygrophila corymbosa is well known by planted tank enthusiasts.

H. corymbosa does OK in subdued lighting in my experience but definitely prefers to be in direct light.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,613
Fahn said:
Pro-tip: when naming plants on the forum use the scientific name if possible. Most people won't know what narrow-leaf temple plant is, but Hygrophila corymbosa is well known by planted tank enthusiasts.

H. corymbosa does OK in subdued lighting in my experience but definitely prefers to be in direct light.
Will-do :)
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,207
Crimson_687 said:
It’s a narrow-leaf temple plant. It’s away from the floating plants completely so I’m pretty sure it’s getting enough light. I’m not sure if it will make it since it wasn’t very healthy when I bought it, but the price was good so I figured it was worth a shot. It’s lost a lot of leaves since it came from a lower pH, but I’m hoping it’ll grow back
Oh ok that's what I thought ;) I have that exact plant! It was named hygro pantenol sp.wavy but I think it was formally known as hygro angustifolia, but yeah, the narrowleaf version of corymbosa. I have my plants right under the light and slightly in the background. The leaves are super nice and bright green in the light. I bought it in emersed form and it took a bit to transform to underwater, but once it did (and I started dosing a fert) it really took off. It grows new shoots from a tiny stump stem and gets pretty strong roots for a stem plant (I was surprised!).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,613
Update:
So I realized that the floating plants that were directly under the light were growing very quickly, and those that weren’t under the light were not growing at all, so I’m sure that those not under the light were getting no light at all. Now what I do is rotate the floating plants every week, that way no plant is left out of the light for too long. So far it’s been working out, the plants out of the light don’t die, they just stop growing, and those in the light burst with growth
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
198
Guests online
3,180
Total visitors
3,378

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom