55 Gallon Tank Are they crazy?

wd67

Was at the petsmart today getting my usual foods for the babys They had these AuqaTop models CF500UV for 125Bucks!! Its a Sunsun with a sticker on it that says its a Aqua Top!! I paided 60 for my Sunsun!! Do these people go on line to see what's out there?? And they wonder why the LFS are going the way of the dodo.. If they keep sticking it to there customers they will go elsewhere. I get my Prime on-line as they charge the same price for half the amount I get .While there, Filter media Sponges are a nono they want the proper filter media and don't lesson to us old non conformists They always ask what filter you have. ask for filter foam and Sponges..its like you have the mumps or something....
People need to do the research before the bucks go down. People get burned, they don't come back and maybe quit our hobby! ok, Off the soapbox...

Mongo75

FWIW, before you buy anything from Persmart or Petco, check their online price for that item. It's almost always cheaper online than in the store. With very few exceptions, they will price match, but you have to show them the online price, they won't look it up. You'd be surprised at how much you can save. It doesn't have to their online price either. They will match their competitors prices too!

Jaquatic

If it is a lfs and not a chain store I will pay a bit more to support them rather than a multI million dollar company like amazon. In your case I understand I wouldn’t be willing double for something at a store compared to online though!

Cody

Mongo75 said:
FWIW, before you buy anything from Persmart or Petco, check their online price for that item. It's almost always cheaper online than in the store. With very few exceptions, they will price match, but you have to show them the online price, they won't look it up. You'd be surprised at how much you can save. It doesn't have to their online price either. They will match their competitors prices too!
I always get irritated by this. I always “pre-shop” before I head to the store to make sure they will have what I need and it’s crazy the difference at times.

I bought an Emperor 400 filter a couple months ago that was $40 online and $80 in the store.

wd67

What I was getting at was mostly A Sunsun filter being passed off as a name brand. From what I saw it was a sticker! Take that sticker off and its a Sunsun. You ever see any kind of Marineland filter marked as something else like another brand? A Ehium, a FX? What a ripoff! I am wondering if anyone else does this with the addition of a sticker to call it there own? This is what gives the "Chain Stores" and Lfs stores a black eye. Who is Aquatop anyway? It is this kind of marketing that really P!**ed me off. The lady at the store was right there when I saw it and I took a look at it and asked how they got away with renaming a product for profit? It was like the lights were halfway out and No one home! I wonder if Sunsun has something with them or if its a copyright issue?

wd67

Mongo75 said:
I check the on-line price for there store, when I am heading there for foods. They have great prices on-line and it tells me I can pickup at store and I get there and its always higher in price. I save the page to my tablet and show them the item price! Sometimes I get that duh face a stutter and I will get the manager... I am not sure about Petco as I don't go there often. But Petsmart is right across the way from me. I am not sure the answer to this ripoff but John q smith looking for there first tank and fish.. It can leave a bad taste in someones mouth. They feel that its a ripoff and go somewhere else. Some change there minds about pets.

Mongo75

Whether or not it's a Sunsun, re-branded, or the other way around, I can't say, but is a legitimate brand.

Feohw

You've never spent $65 for a sticker before? Why else would you buy a filter? JK

Its pretty common to see things like this happening. I usually look around for the best deal. My all ponds solution 1000ef (another rebranded sunsun) was absolutely terrible anyway. Eheim, Fluval and JBL have had much better filters ime.

wd67

I must have got lucky with this Sunsun. It works great! So far no issues. Maybe it will last longer than the Marineland I had...

Islandvic

The Top Fin 150 gallon tank/stand combo's at PetSmart are re-branded from Marineland.

You will see re-branded items in a lot of unexpected places.

Mazda and Ford used to sell re-branded versions of each other's vehicles all the time.

The Pontiac G8 was a re-branded Holden Commodore imported from Australia.

Currently, the Toyota Supra and BMW Z4 are clones of each other aside from different interior/exterior design.

wd67

Figures. I know they did the Ford ranger and Mazda. Didn't know about the other's

Latest threads

Top Bottom