Are These Zebra Danio Eggs Viable? (pic)

1. Mike Murphy Initiate Member

I know that zebra danio eggs are supposed to hatch within 1-5 days.

This is my second time trying to breed danios. The first time I could see the tiny fish in the eggs after 10 days or so but then 3 days later they hadn't progressed so I tossed them. The first batch where in a tank with a filter (with panty hose over inlet), a bubbler, and red cherry shrimp.

This time I put some methylene blue in the water right after I moved the eggs. They are in a container with no filter or bubbler. This is what they look like after a week, and what the previous batch looked like after a week before they progressed and looked like curled up fish in the eggs:

Is there still a chance they could hatch?

They are still clear and have a small yolk/white dot on the inside.

My water is approximately 70 degrees F, and we have hard water. The eggs have been in pretty fresh water.
  2. Demeter Well Known Member Member

You shouldn't be moving the eggs at all IMO. When I raised zebra danios I moved a male and female into a ten gal tank half filled with water and gravel on the bottom. After a day or two I moved the pair and left the tank sit. 4 days later there were dozens of little fry sticking to the sides of the glass.

It should not take a week for the eggs to hatch. Viable eggs remain clear for the first day, then slowly darken as the little fish mature inside. I don't remember seeing any white at all. Usually white is a bad sign for fish eggs.

I say set up a separate tank, throw an air stone and maybe a heater in as well (helps speed hatching and fry growth). Other than that don't move the eggs at all.

3. Mike Murphy Initiate Member

Thanks for the response. What is the optimal temperature for the danio eggs?
  4. Demeter Well Known Member Member

I haven't a clue, I was probably 15 or so when I raised them. Honestly can't remember if I had a heater in the tank or not. Right now I'd keep them around 74 though.