Are these two platys pregnant?

1. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I bought these two females about a week and a half ago and they are starting to get large. I was only feeding lightly every other day up until this week as I was finishing up the cycle. I know the pics aren't the best but it was hard to get a decent shot. I tried to bribe them with an algae wafer.

Attached Files:

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:p well, I see poop, so they're definitely not constipated. They look preggers to me. :) If they were with a male at the lfs, then yup, they're definitely pregnant. They can even hold sperm for a couple weeks until they feel the water is right for them. You should see some babies within a few weeks. :)

If you want the fry, you may want to add some marbles, fake grass, or java moss for them to hide in/under. If you don't want fry, then the other fishies in the tank should find them to be a healthy and delicious snack.

3. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I actually just bought a 10 gallon kit. I have a bunch of Java Fern starts from 2 different Java Ferns in the tank they are in right now. Once I know for sure they are pregnant I am going to move them to the ten gallon. The filter for the ten gallon is currently running on this tank. My plan is to move gravel, live plants, the two platy's and the seeded filter together. I was amazed at how much these two were "pooping" while I was trying to get their pictures.

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:;rl My mollies, plats, and gups are pooping machines. :rolleyes: I just take it to mean they're eating enough fiber.

5. whisper Well Known Member Member

They sure do look like they're ready to pop any minute now. Get your breeder box's ready.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Flyin. I agree. I see babies in your near future!
    ken

7. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Once i get them in the 10 gal tank and they have the fry is there a certain amount of time I need to leave then parents in there? In other words can the fry survive on there own instantly, or if I leave the parents in there will they start eating them.
    Thanks

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

The sooner you take the females away from the fry, the better. They will eat their own fry and platy fry can live on their own from the second they swim out of the mother's stomach. Hope this helps:)

9. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

That helps. will moving them from the 75g to the ten gallon totally stress them or will they cope? I had heard that when stress they will sometime either hold or abort the fry. They will be the only fish in the 10 gallon. I figured I could go ahead and move them now so they have time to adjust instead of trying to time it just right. Am I thinking this through correctly?

10. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Yup, I agree with your thinking. If you wait too long to move them, that's when they tend to abort. Also a ten gallon is plenty of room for them to feel safe and comfy. Smaller spaces, like breeder boxes, are what tend to stress out the mommas.

(Also +1 to what BB said about removing mommas from their new fry.)

11. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I moved both plattys to the 10 gallon along with gravel, a fake plant, and seven small java ferns. My grandmother said yesterday morning there were three fry in the tank when she got up and the female ate them. One of them still looks prego but I can't tell for sure. How many will they usually have and do they have them all at once? I knew they would eat the young but I didn't think they would eat them all within a short period of time. Is it possible she only had a couple? or did they likely eat them all? I haven't heard from her yet this morning to see if the other one had any fry yet or not.:;dk

12. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

A week after my grandmother said she saw the platy eating the fry I moved them back to the 75g tank. They looked smaller so I thought they had the fry and ate them. Christmas morning I was looking at the Java fern in the 10g tank and saw to fry swimming around. I don't know how long they had been in there but there was two of them. Now the two adults in the 75g have swelled up again. She swears she is only feeding once a day and not too much. Who knows whats going on.