Are These True Siamese Algae Eaters?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Jamexman, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Jamexman

JamexmanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I went to my local Petsmart and they had them labeled as Siamese Flying Foxes, however I'm almost sure they're actually true Siamese Algae eaters. They don't have the white/gold stripe over the black one, the black stripe runs all the way to the end of the tail fin (foxes don't) and their fins don't have any coloring, oh, and these guys school together.

Even the store guy thought indeed they had them mislabeled. If they are true SAE, then quite a catch, since they were $2.29 lol.

Can any one confirm that from my pics?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They look like my SAE to me. I'd say yes.

3. OP
    OP
    Jamexman

JamexmanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Cool, I hope so. Do they eat algae good? Which types?

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Younger SAE are known to be particularly good at eating BBA. As they get older, they tend to just eat produce and prepared foods offered - which should be done anyway, to ensure they have a balanced diet.

5. OP
    OP
    Jamexman

JamexmanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks!

By the way, if anyone interested in getting them, go to your local PetSmart, I just went to 3 stores and they all have them as Siamese flying foxes. Seems the mislabeling is at a corporate level. They're just 2 bucks and change each. Just make sure they're really SAE's per the first post!

6. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Siamese Flying Fox is another name for SAE.

7. OP
    OP
    Jamexman

JamexmanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    I don't think so. They're different, but close enough they're usually confused.

SAE's are Crossocheilus oblongus, SFF are Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus.

Check the pic bellow, that's a SFF. Notice the white stripe on top of the black? Fins are also colored and black stripe doesn't go all the way to the end of the tail fin.[​IMG]

8. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,943
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Be careful when you buy from Petsmart. I've seen them carrying these for almost a year and they mix SAEs with Flying Fox, selling both as Siamese flying fox.

9. OP
    OP
    Jamexman

JamexmanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    I don't doubt that. If they mislabeled them, anything can occur. I only bought 4 at the same time and examined them very close and thank God they're SAE's. You can tell the differences if you take your time to examine them carefully. Just wanted reassurance, thus the thread. Good PSA though, thanks!

10. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The age old problem with common names. Siamese Flying Fox is another commonly used name for Siamese Algae Eater. The Flying Fox is not (usually) the Siamese Flying Fox.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  11. Lonnie

LonnieValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    3 years
    At least I know that Petsmart carries them. Thank you for the information.

12. BlueRamLover

BlueRamLoverNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    2 years
    Definitely true sae's because they have the black strip all the way into their fin and they are less colorful (most fake siamese algae eaters or flying foxes are more colorful).

13. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,101
    Experience:
    2 years
    I also agree they are true SAE. My local Petco recently started carrying them. The manager of the fish department is surprisingly well knowledged and confirmed he did order SAE specifically. They are great BBA eaters when young but then as they age and grow like the above has stated they steer more towards prepared foods. Good Luck with them. They get pretty big 5" or so. As a side note i think another way to recognize the difference between them and SFF is the SAE's black line is a little more jagged where as the SFF has a true straight black line that does not extend the length of the body.

Become a Fishlore Member