Are these true SAEs

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Can anyone tell me if these are true SAEs they were the only 2 that looked remotely different with the black line extending into the tail according to the others in the tank all laybelled flying fox..

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

The one in the front appears to be the real deal - I can't see the tail on the one in back.

The key is the black stripe running right out to the end of the tail - they also have tiny barbels if you can see them and they will sit on their pelvic fins when resting.

3. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Agree. I'd say that the one in front definitely is. So if the back matches, you got some amazing algae eaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Agreed I got a few of them in my tank and they do an excellent job keeping the algae at bay.

5. KarenLM

Technically they are schooling fish so you should aim to have 6+ eventually.

(I'm a great one to talk as I still only have one!)

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

They're not really schooling, per se. I have 6 and they're never together in a tight group. They're more shoaling and only 3 of them really stay together.

7. OP
    OP
    K

Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Yeah plan is to find 6 so will be keeping eye on flying fox tanks over next few weeks.. The one at the back has the same black extending into tail like the front so happy they were the only 2 like that all the others the black stopped at the base of the tail or they had black fins.. I tried to explain that to staff and they just looked at me weird can u imagine the comotion trying to catch those specific 2

8. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Hahaha yea, tell them you been more informed than most of their normal customers :p

9. OP
    OP
    K

Ive been looking at a true SAE at an aquarium shop hes full size approx 6" hes the only one of his kind in the tank i kinda feel sorry for it ive been in and out over last few weeks getting biys and pieces for my new 240L which is being set up tomorrow.. Can i mix different sized SAEs or is it best to have all the same size? The 2 little ones i got yesturday are maybe 5cm approx

10. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea you could do that, the bigger one should be accepting of the others. They're not conspecific aggressive. In fact, they're generally peaceful overall.

11. KarenLM

I agree that you could put the big guy in with the small ones - they are peaceful community fish - my 3.5" one doesn't even bother tiny platy fry.

12. OP
    OP
    K

So wont matter if hes the biggest fish in the tank.. If hes still there on monday and if he is a true SAE then i might get it see what there asking for it

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Why do it Monday when you can do it today? :eek:

14. OP
    OP
    K

Cause my 250L wont be set up until tomorrow and dont really want to put it in my 150L.. Dont tempt me otherwise ill be out the door

15. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Lol I was just teasing anyway.

16. OP
    OP
    K

Yeah i know but its soooo tempting

17. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I know how hard it is to hold the temptation of waiting to buy fish is... I was going to wait a week after buying the angelfish before I bought any. But there's a LFS on the way home from work and I stopped by "just to look" and I walked out with 5 congo tetras...

18. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, SAE and at least 6......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice