Are these Tiger Barbs all males?

devsi

I was doing some research on Males vs Females and how the Males tend to be slimmer etc. I can't fully tell but it looks like I have shoal of 100% Male Tiger Barbs...

Could someone help/confirm?

Attachments

• IMG_4434.jpg
    IMG_4434.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 20

WRWAquarium

Not sure from the pic. 1 at least looks to have the wider belly area of a female barb. How big are they? Not fully grown yet I assume?

Also how are they getting on with the mollys?

A201

Tiger Barb males will eventually develope orange or red snouts.

devsi

Not sure from the pic. 1 at least looks to have the wider belly area of a female barb. How big are they? Not fully grown yet I assume?
They're not full grown yet, no. I'd say they're about ~1-1.5 inches, so they've got some more growing to do for sure.
Also how are they getting on with the mollys?
Actually, really well! They all swim around (or, at least, in amongst) each other, and the Corys have decided to start doing the same haha.

The Cockatoos are also being left alone, with the odd flare to remind them not to try anything.

The trouble is my LFS now has Green Tiger Barbs, and I want them! But I fear that would make me overstocked, so I'll more than likely leave them.
Tiger Barb males will eventually develope orange or red snouts.

I found this image, and they all look like they have the red/orange snout and the red bit on the top fin (I'm sure it has a more scientific name haha), which is why I wondered if they were just all males.

Edit: Image was removed for copyright reasons. The link to the site is here: https://www.aquariumfishparadise.com.au/tiger-barb/

P.S. A201 / Wouldratherwatchaquarium - thanks for responding :)

WRWAquarium

Glad they are getting on with your other community fish. I do think barbs often get a bad name as killer fin nippers and are overlooked in the hobby.

Regarding the sex. I think all males may actually work better unless you want to breed them obviously. With my black ruby barbs the males will sometimes have little scuffles (a tight swimming dance kinda thing) but I assume this is over the females and dominancy to spawn. The subordinate male will then change their red breeding colour to look more like the stripes of a female.

So all males might be calmer with tigers without the females to fight over. Not sure on that mind!

Anyway yes I would wait till they are fully grown to know for sure on gender. I have been tempted by the green tigers too!

devsi

Glad they are getting on with your other community fish. I do think barbs often get a bad name as killer fin nippers and are overlooked in the hobby.
Honestly, they have quickly become one of my favourite fish. They look amazing when they shoal together.
Regarding the sex. I think all males may actually work better unless you want to breed them obviously.
Oh yeah, I'm not overly fussed whether they're males or not to be honest; I'm not going to actively try and breed them, I was just curious :)
With my black ruby barbs the males will sometimes have little scuffles (a tight swimming dance kinda thing) but I assume this is over the females and dominancy to spawn.
Haha yeah, my tigers do that as well. I assumed it was a hierarchy thing.

Weirdly, if it goes on for too long a Molly will come and tell them off haha!
The subordinate male will then change their red breeding colour to look more like the stripes of a female.
How weird/interesting!!
Anyway yes I would wait till they are fully grown to know for sure on gender. I have been tempted by the green tigers too!
I've heard that too few tigers can cause aggression, but also too many can due to mob mentality. I have absolutely zero idea if it's true, or just hearsay that people repeat and it becomes gospel haha.

Shame, because I think another eight green tigers would look amazing with the existing eight. But then 16 tigers in a 130 litre is probably too many anyway.

WRWAquarium

I like my barbs too. Always active and interesting to watch :)

Too few in a tank I can see leading to aggression. Not heard of a very large group being aggressive myself but possibly that has some truth.

Regarding 16 in a 130 litre. Yeah that would be pushing it i think with your other fishes too. Not only from a space perspective but your bio load as well unless your filtration is on steroids.

devsi

I like my barbs too. Always active and interesting to watch
Yeah, and the Mollys actually compliment them really well as well.
Too few in a tank I can see leading to aggression. Not heard of a very large group being aggressive myself but possibly that has some truth.
I was surprised as I've heard of people keeping 40/50 of them together, but that might have been an only-species tank, I'm not sure.
Regarding 16 in a 130 litre. Yeah that would be pushing it i think with your other fishes too. Not only from a space perspective but your bio load as well unless your filtration is on steroids.
It's an AquaManta EFX 200, which is pretty comprehensive, but I'd still be worried about pushing it too much, especially with the other fish like you said.

I guess it's time to start laying the ground work to propose another tank to the wife :-D

A201

Here's pics of my male Tiger barbs. As Tigers mature gender identification is easy.

Attachments

• 20211008_103048.jpg
    20211008_103048.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211008_103126.jpg
    20211008_103126.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 9

devsi

Here's pics of my male Tiger barbs. As Tigers mature gender identification is easy.

Ah I see, there noses look a lot of a brighter red!

They're really nice looking fish, by the way!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Deku-Cory
Replies
Views
schmalzy_x0
Replies
Views