Are these the remains of a pleco?

MupsIsLife

Hi, I was looking in my aquarium and found this white stuff after taking a closer look I saw the remains of a tail and fish bone. I don’t have many fish in my aquarium, three to be exact. One really small pleco, one medium sized pleco (their of a small species so they don’t get bigger than a few inches) and a beta. I’m just shocked if it’s true because I saw him swim yesterday then that must mean the fish and the shrimp and snails I also keep in the aquarium must’ve eaten him really quick :( these are my first pleco so I don’t really know how a dead one looks like. I hope someone can identify it. Kind regards.

WRWAquarium

Hi

Hard to say from pics but it looks to be fish remains. Plecs have the hard scales that would explain why it looks kind of hollowed out.

Bwood22

Umm...looks like your shrimp is molting.:p

All is well.

I bet if you look again...you will find all of your plecos.

CHJ

As I can see a spine and other skeletal bits I'm going to say that is not a shrimp. With the mouth parts at the front of the skull pleco seems like a pretty good guess.
You can tell immediately if your showy betta is there or not and I'm guessing yours is begging for food when you look in the tank.
Depending on the variety of pleco in the tank is may be unlikely to ever see a dead shrimp (or with larger plecos, live shrimp).
You say they do not get very big, what kind are you running? Bulldog Plecos?
Depending on what kind of snails/shrimp and how many you have a corpse can get picked clean pretty fast. I have had tanks where I don't pull dead fish, I allow they will be gone in an hour or few.

StarGirl

I thought shrimp molt also

CHJ

I wouldn't really use the term skeleton for that. Or would I? it is not the skeleton it is mostly the bony plates of the body. Without another term though? Those are the armor not the support for the musculature.
Fish with boney plates will dry out and/clean up to often present an interesting art piece. However they have a skeleton inside the plates.

These will need a little cleaning.
The lighting is poor but hopefully you can see some skeleton in the inverted one.
You must be registered to see images

Lots of fish work this way. A puffer with pointy plates may leave an interesting corpse or lamp but under the plates they have a skeleton that looks like that of most other puffers. Armadillos have skeletons under their armor.
Youtube cooking channels will show you how to fillet pelcos if you are eating invasive species in Florida. So no skeleton or plates.
I'm betting you could get an interesting dried alligator gar. Fully plated stickleback?
There has to be a good word for the collection of plates that look like a fish but are not the skeleton? I'm not the person who knows that term. and my google skills are not doing anything worth while.
Suit of armor.

For trying to blow up the original with ctrl + mouse I decided to copy and paste into paint so I can put red lines on what looks like fish to me. I'm not sure how well it worked. Skull, spine, ribs, some plates, maybe a tail.

Bwood22

MupsIsLife Did you find all of your plecos yet?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
AP1
Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views