Are these silicone seals okay?

CJLand

Reaction score
I just recently bought this Marineland 54 gallon aquarium. Im not exactly sure what the shape is called because ive never seen it in aquarium form haha. I haven't seen this tank online anywhere not even on the marineland website, but i assume its just a new product that they'll announce or something soon. The tank itself was made about a month ago. Anyway, this is my first tank that has had black silicone. And idk if its just because its easier to see than clear, but the silicone seals dont seem to be very big. Again, maybe they're all like this and im just noticing because its dark, but what do you think? It just looks kinda thin, and maybe kinda sloppyily done. Thoughts?

Attachments

Best Answer - View FishGirl38's answer

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Where/How did you acquire said tank? I've never seen one like that either. It's almost like a 44G pentagon and a 54G corner bowfront had a baby! lol. Exciting.

If you know somebody who knows somebody and you got it straight from marineland, I'd say it's safe. At least, I wouldn't recommend undoing and redoing the seal right off the bat. I have seen tanks with this black silicone (not many, but they're out there) I'm not sure what exactly is different about it (compared to the clear stuff, could just be a 'sleeker' look - perhaps it's easier to identify leaks?) but I'd bet it's safe - marineland would have broken and recycled it if it wasn't, IMO. (My thoughts, if it's a new release, they wouldn't want faulty demo products released to the public - giving the new tank a bad rep before it's even released, they'd test the prototype.)

Id recommend filling the tank in a safe area (outside or waterproof/spacious basement) to test it just to be sure if you're uneasy about it, if you're worried about the top, fill it to the brim. Just make sure it's as level as it can be.

the only reason I would think you'd need to be uneasy is if you're unsure of it's initial origin. if you know for a fact it was made a month ago (and thats not just what the stranger who you got it from told you) than I think you can trust it. :).

OP
C

CJLand

Reaction score
I bought it new at one of my local Petsmarts for $299.99 i believe, and the shape of it is honestly just amazing haha. And you're right about Marineland probably not wanting to release something faulty, because i swear it has to be new, i searched for hours trying to find it and nothing. Ive always had a great experience with Marineland so i can assume its safe. And if not, they'll send me another one most likely. Oh and theres a sticker underneath the trim that says when it was built, which was June 4th 2020, so about a month ago (which is also my birthday, it was a nice surprise :) ). But i will try and fill it up soon, i don't really have any place in case of leaks. Its in my bedroom haha and im not sure i should take it outside due to it being about 100 degrees everyday lol but ill figure something out. I very much appreciate the help :) Thank you!

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
CJLand said:
I bought it new at one of my local Petsmarts for $299.99 i believe, and the shape of it is honestly just amazing haha. And you're right about Marineland probably not wanting to release something faulty, because i swear it has to be new, i searched for hours trying to find it and nothing. Ive always had a great experience with Marineland so i can assume its safe. And if not, they'll send me another one most likely. Oh and theres a sticker underneath the trim that says when it was built, which was June 4th 2020, so about a month ago (which is also my birthday, it was a nice surprise :) ). But i will try and fill it up soon, i don't really have any place in case of leaks. Its in my bedroom haha and im not sure i should take it outside due to it being about 100 degrees everyday lol but ill figure something out. I very much appreciate the help :) Thank you!
Okay, If you got any documentation (does the cardboard on the inside mention a warranty? KEEP any and everything that came with the tank. If there was a sticker on it, stick it to the bottom of the tank (so you always have it but it's never visible.) Keep your Petsmart receipt too. I'm 95% sure it will be absolutely fine, but keep everything that came with it just in case it's not.

As it's filling, watch the seam for any bubbles or noticable area's where water is filling into the seam. Its not very likely to bust open. If anything is wrong with it, it'll be a leak, at that point you can stop the filling, drain it and take it right back. (unless it's cracked but I'm sure you've inspected it). If the temperatures are different between the tank water and the air, you will have condensation on the glass - no worries, its not a leak.

Check the bottom Rim for water on the outside. Careful you don't drip water down the front of the tank and syke yourself out that it's leaking as it collects in the seam, but you'll especially notice that something is wrong closer towards the bottom (as water drips down from where ever it could leak from).

leftswerve

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From the pictures, it looks like any other mass produced tank silicone job. As mentioned, probably fine. Use at your own risk and peril.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 120 gal. Marineland tank, w/ black silicone. It looks good & holds well. Can't see algae build up like seen on clear silicone. Up & running 7 years, no problems.
Marineland has a good warranty, just in case.

New Threads