Are these shrimp fry?

octo90

Hey guys, I have 5 cherry shrimp in my 5 gallon and when I was adding an almond leaf today I noticed little life buzzing about in there.
Ive never had shrimp before so I'm unsure if these are shrimp fry or something else?
(Sorry about my dog panting, he wanted the attention on him hahaha)

OP
octo90

octo90

Jack B Nimble said:
water fleas
Amazing, the newly arriving rasporas should take care of those bad boys :)

thanks for your reply

OP
octo90

octo90

Y
richiep said:
theres also a cluster of snail eggs
Yeah I have a few of them about, ive got 2 assassin snails which dont seem to be doing their jobs, anyone have any advice on getting rid of them or just removing them?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Just siphon them out youll find adult assissan dont normally eat snails until they are a certain size, young assissan will eat smaller snails

OP
octo90

octo90

Darn, i need to look for a small siphon as its only a 5 Gallon :/
I’ll look around tomorrow for one, thanks for the advise

barbiespoodle

I use to have lots of water fleas in the red tank when I first set it up and now have some in the new blue tank. Don't know where they came from but they never caused any problems and once the shrimp population grew, the water flea and detritus worm population decreased, I now never see them. Guess the shrimp ate the same food as the water fleas and they couldn't compete. I actually kind of miss them, they added interest to the tank.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
It seems once a tank is fully established most of these uninvited tiny creatures disappear. Now that all of my tanks are well established I never see any of the microscopic life I used to see.

Uninvited snails are a different story. We do need to keep on top of removing some of them or just learning to live with them. Your assassins should help keep the numbers down. Keep in mind, assassins only kill to eat so if a tank is heavily infested with snails they may need a little help from you. Sometimes the so called pest snails can breed faster than the assassins can eat them so physically removing some will help them out.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
octo90 said:
Hey guys, I have 5 cherry shrimp in my 5 gallon and when I was adding an almond leaf today I noticed little life buzzing about in there.
Ive never had shrimp before so I'm unsure if these are shrimp fry or something else?
(Sorry about my dog panting, he wanted the attention on him hahaha)
So you know for the future, newly hatched neocaradina shrimp (cherries and other color variants) are tiny, but they're fully formed.
mattgirl said:
. . . Uninvited snails are a different story. We do need to keep on top of removing some of them or just learning to live with them. Your assassins should help keep the numbers down. Keep in mind, assassins only kill to eat so if a tank is heavily infested with snails they may need a little help from you. Sometimes the so called pest snails can breed faster than the assassins can eat them so physically removing some will help them out.
I crush mine and drop them in the shrimp tanks. Shrimp just LOOOOVE fresh snail meat.

OP
octo90

octo90

JettsPapa said:
So you know for the future, newly hatched neocaradina shrimp (cherries and other color variants) are tiny, but they're fully formed.

I crush mine and drop them in the shrimp tanks. Shrimp just LOOOOVE fresh snail meat.
Thank you for the info, do they really like that? Man i’ll try that out then, when the population gets too much! Ive just moved everything into my bigger 50 gal now so got rid of some of the snails that wya but there is still a few in there, I just want to control it but not get rid of them completely

OP
octo90

octo90

SanDiegoRedneck said:
As JettsPapa stated when born they are tiny but perfect replica of a shrimp.
20200705_083801.jpg
Looks amazing, since ive moved them all into my bigger 50 Gal she seems to be in hiding which i assume is normal? Hopefully she wont release the eggs from the slight shock of the move.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
octo90 said:
Thank you for the info, do they really like that? Man i’ll try that out then, when the population gets too much! Ive just moved everything into my bigger 50 gal now so got rid of some of the snails that wya but there is still a few in there, I just want to control it but not get rid of them completely
Some snails are fine but I over fed then got a snail boom and tried after I saw JettsPapa. Tried it and mine also gobbled them up.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
octo90 said:
Looks amazing, since ive moved them all into my bigger 50 Gal she seems to be in hiding which i assume is normal? Hopefully she wont release the eggs from the slight shock of the move.
Hiding is totally normal. After a few days you will start to see here and there more in daytime

OP
octo90

octo90

SanDiegoRedneck said:
Hiding is totally normal. After a few days you will start to see here and there more in daytime
Brill, hopefully she wont release those eggs!

barbiespoodle

Again, I'm going to speak as someone who has been in an all out battle with pest snails. It has taken me a long time, but I've finally got them down from an all out infestation to just a problem.

My biggest problem is in the shrimp tanks because I want algae and bio film to feed the shrimp and especially the shrimp babies, great shrimp food, even better snail food. Because I did not start control methods at the beginning, I ended up having pest snails literally coat the bottom and sides of the tank, there was just too much food and they bred like crazy. Side note, assassin snails didn't even take a dent out of the population, do not count on them.

Now I'm down to just a problem but it took a lot of work and even now it's a daily thing to keep the numbers down to just a problem. Part of my morning routine is what I call snail patrol. As soon as the lights come on I squish any snails I see.

So do yourself a favor and start now, squish those eggs and start squishing any snails you see. Don't make the same mistake I did.

New Threads